P15 door panel cloth

baileylake
Go to solution Solved by Young Ed,

My door panels on my P15 coupe need a facelift.  The cloth is not torn or worn through but since the leatherette bottoms are ratty I want to recover with material as close to original as possible.  So far, I cannot find a source for the cloth.  Can anyone help me?

00b0b_gO85GHyhTjUz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1

If you are doing it yourself, try the local arts and crafts store. They usually have a plethura of different types of material for lots of different uses. They might sell something to make drapes that can be re-purposed to the door panels. Time to think outside the box, since the original source materials for our old cars no longer exists.

Joe Lee

Since you already have an "aftermarket" seat covers, you can probably just cover the entire interior with generic store fabric you like. $139 per yard? I paid that much for cloth for the entire car :)

The easiest way to attach the cloth to the panel, I found, is with a light-duty crafts stapler. Just remember to cut the staples (because the shortest ones available are too long) so that they do not go through the panel.

There are numerous sources online...search automotive upholstery supply. A good place to start is Sailrite.

Re-doing door cards isnt difficult and kinda fun actually.  Take off knobs and then figure out how to pop the clips out that hold the card to the door.  Once off, youll see what they do to cover the cards.  Then do a bit of learning at YouTube university.  1/4" foam, couple of cans of 3M spray adhesive, fabric(s) of your choice and you're off and running.  And, by the way, I usually pay 10-20 bucks a yard for upholstery fabric and vinyl.

I have a question, why is the heater mounted on the left side of the car. I have seen right hand drive cars with the heater mounted on the left side, but never a left hand drive car. The dash grain looks great...

There was a member, passed away, who's p15 had dual heaters. The outlets were contained in the foot well kick panels. You might still find some of his pictures posted to this site.  Member name was Norm's Coupe.

2 hours ago, greg g said:

who's p15 had dual heaters. The outlets were contained in the foot well kick panels.

I read it as dual headers and I was thinking why'd he put them int eh kick panels, lol.

• Haha 1

Yes I've got dual heaters in mine too. Should have a pass side one too maybe just can't see it 

Edited by Young Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies to my question.  I think JoAnns , Hobby Lobby, or perhaps Amazon will have something good enough.  I tried contacting SMS several times with no response whatever.  I don't need to do business with a place like that.

The dual heaters were an option and I think Model 56.  Exploded diagrams are in the parts books.  The 47 coupe I had in the 60s had a single heater on the passenger side.  The defrosters were not very good.

Under my "aftermarket" seat cover is the original, untorn upholstery.