Found the cause of my over-charging

motoMark

I've noticed for a while some water seeping out of the fill caps of my battery, so I decided to check the charging voltage. Wow, 9.3V on fast idle!  Not good. So I went through the voltage regulator adjustment process per the shop manual, setting the contact points gaps, adjusting the armature spring tensions, and nothing seemed to work. 

Then I started looking more closely at the regulator wiring, and low and behold I found this. A broken wire that goes from the circuit breaker to the voltage regulator. Now I'm just waiting for my NAPA regulator to be delivered. Hopefully that will fix my problem.

IMG20230603174845[1].jpg

Or at least give it a shot for poops-and-giggles.  If it works, you have a spare, if it doesn't, you've already got a new one en-route.

Edited by Dan Hiebert
  • Like 1

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, not like it isn't going to not work if you try something, it already doesn't work, lol.

Careful though, you might get to be known as "that guy who can fix regulators" and the world will beat a path to your door, lol.

Interestingly enough, I found a place the other day that sells contacts, for points and relays and such.  But I promptly forget where I found it.  CRS hits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, motoMark said:

My new NAPA voltage regulator arrived yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised to see this stamped on the housing. Oh, and it fixed charging issue too.

IMG20230607200905.jpg

Excellent! Would you have the NAPA p/n please ?