Attaching a Windshield Sun Visor

Saskwatch

I have a windshield sun visor that I would like to mount on our 1948 Dodge club coupe, “ BUT “  just looking at how it is clamped on makes me wonder how well these stand up to sudden gusts of wind while out on the highway. 
   I really like the way they look but Do Not want it to become an airborne projectile.

Do the stock clamps on these visors sufficiently hold it in place ?

Thank you , 

The stock rain gutter clamps work well but they must be secure and if you have a split front window then you will also need the bracket that holds the center portion of the visor securely bolted down on the center strip. So it is a three point hold down setup.

Rich Hartung

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

further, you did not state the make and model visor, they mount similar but with a few differences that make all the difference 

I will have to go look for any make or model identification, all I know for sure is that it has the rain gutter clamps on the sides and the centre bracket that grabs onto the center strip on the windshield that Desoto 1939 mentioned. 
   Thank you both for responding and letting me know there are different makes & models 

?

I have a period Fulton Sunshield on our D24.  The side brackets are not clamped onto the rain gutters, they are screwed on beneath the gutters, and are quite stout.  I don't know what brand was on the car before we got it, but at one time it had a different outside sunvisor on it that was also screwed on that was no longer on the car.  The center of the Fulton visor is clamped onto the windshield divider in two places and is also quite stout.  When we lived in the southwest, we drove the car occasionally on really windy days, with up to 60-70 mph winds, with no sun visor issues.  The car would get buffeted around pretty good, but the visor held up, although I had to check and tighten the center clamps regularly.  

• Thanks 1

When I had the 1941 Plymouth Coupe I obtained a Fulton 1000 visor and it used very distinctive brackets that screwed onto the inside of the door jam and a fairly thin centre bracket.............as I like chrome and the side brackets were made from aluminium I polished them which you can see in the attached pics........I also decided that the original centre bracket was not sufficient and made a much stronger bracket from two pieces of stainless steel that were bolted together and clamped around the centre windscreen divider bar as shown in the attached pics............and like a dope I sold the car a few years later ............duh........andyd

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1