What is this numbered metal tag for?

The previous owner left this approximately 3in metal tag in the glove box and said it came off the truck when he restored it but he couldn't remember where.  Any idea what this is and what the number means?

IMG_1211.jpeg

3 hours ago, Stinger said:

The previous owner left this approximately 3in metal tag in the glove box and said it came off the truck when he restored it but he couldn't remember where.  Any idea what this is and what the number means?

IMG_1211.jpeg

Cab number tag. Should go next to your serial number tag

On both my 48s it is here......

00000094_img_0014_1600x1066.JPG.74838f3ddb106507011ffc644922c829.JPG

Interesting apparently they moved it from my W series trucks. The first two are the year of cab design and second are cab style. So a panel truck should have a different code. My 46 and 47 are 4112. I am a little unsure why that one is 4712 and not 4812 though 

Both of mine start with 4712;

4712 43247   48 B1D Express

4712 119689  48 B1D Stake Side Dually

The stake side was built at the end of November 48, the other in April.

The Bunn book also says “the body number plate is riveted onto the engine-side of the cowl.  Look for it at the upper-most top left corner of the cowl.”  So, the opposite side of where billrigsby has his?

17 minutes ago, Stinger said:

The Bunn book also says “the body number plate is riveted onto the engine-side of the cowl.  Look for it at the upper-most top left corner of the cowl.”  So, the opposite side of where billrigsby has his?

Interesting, both of mine are drivers side, and screwed on?

Hmm, I suppose that if you were sitting in the cab that the plate would be on the upper-most left side - ha!  Then again, my truck originally had a radio and while the face of the radio is still in the cab, the radio itself was removed from the cowl / firewall and a new braking system installed in that location.

BTW, Bill, how can you tell the dates your trucks were built?

From the build cards I requested from FCA;

Use the attached form, provide proof of ownership and email it to danielle.szostak@stellantis.com

She is still a bit backlogged from Covid, but my last one came in about 3 weeks.

Chrysler_Historical_Build_Record_Request.pdf

9 minutes ago, jpellican said:

Is there a charge for this or do they take donations? I did not see a charge in the form. 

It is my understanding that in the past there was a charge,

people here have also stated they had checks returned and or never cashed.

Both of the two I got in the last couple of years, there was no charge.