What am I doing wrong?

Philliplive

Good evening, I’m a novice with the 6 volt positive ground engine.  I purchased one and it’s on

a pallet in the garage, I’m trying to get it to crank to check compression, I get a spark like the battery is hooked up from positive to negative, can someone please send a diagram I can understand? I’ve searched YouTube and have seen others start theirs, but no videos or forums have a step by step what to do… please help. Thanks in advance. 

If you have just an engine on a pallet, it won't matter which way the battery is connected, it'll start and run either way. Just wire it up the same way you would for a negative ground engine, then reverse the battery and start it...or don't reverse the battery. The starter will work either way and the ignition will work either way. You can leave the generator disconnected to simplify things.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

6 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Yes a motor will, starter ... fan blower motor .... electric wiper motor

Not the fan blower motors in my 48

Just now, Young Ed said:

Not the fan blower motors in my 48

Ok thanks Ed, I stand corrected.

The only time a checked the blower in my heater .... was before I installed the motor back in, after I disassembled the heater for paint ..... I thought it was a good idea to check the motor to see if it worked before installing it.  I thought it would be more exciting to install the fan while holding the motor and connecting it to a 12V battery.

It ran really fast on 12V but it did blow good.

I have no idea which wire was which with the old cloth wiring ..... 50/50 chance I reversed the wires & was running it backwards?

3 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Ok thanks Ed, I stand corrected.

The only time a checked the blower in my heater .... was before I installed the motor back in, after I disassembled the heater for paint ..... I thought it was a good idea to check the motor to see if it worked before installing it.  I thought it would be more exciting to install the fan while holding the motor and connecting it to a 12V battery.

It ran really fast on 12V but it did blow good.

I have no idea which wire was which with the old cloth wiring ..... 50/50 chance I reversed the wires & was running it backwards?

Most of them don't care. The P15 one I had is an oddball that does