Hypoid oil and non-ferrous metals

Semmerling

On 5/30/2023 at 1:55 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

in your first post you mentioned you used 140 wt. hypoid oil....do you know what hypoid oil is.....enough said.....the API still rates the oil,  the industry still supplies the correct oils as needed. you free to read interpret and use what you wish....it is the posting of misinformation that more the manner I said what I did.  

Well stated, thanks for clearing that all up.

Lets review....
By mentioning 140 weight and posting the 140 GL-4 label, one is talking about GL-5 and becomes clueless.
We are no longer saying "That's your 1st clue"  or "Thems the facts!" but rather "Enough said" as the admonition of choice.

So its "the API that rates the oil" and, if I've go this right, "the industry supplies the correct oil as needed. "

Now the harder part...everybody is free to read and interpret and use what they want, but  "it is the posting of misinformation that more the manner I said what I did."  Took me a while, but then...well lets just say wow!

Ok, I'll give it a go....

I used 140 Gl-4 in my transmission because it has real good stuff in it.

I might hope that the GL-5 ASTM D130 goes from 1B to 1A sometime in the future, but for now...enough said.

• Like 1

This is exactly why I stated GL-4 might be acceptable, to the end user is the implication,  GL-5 isn't as clear cut and involves really paying attention, that's primarily why I said pass on it.

When I changed out the fluid in my transmission I used GL-1.  My transmission is 70+ years old, pretty good statement as to the GL-1's ability to do the job.  Not saying there might not be better, but the effort to dig into that was more than the return if I just ran the GL-1 that has been doing the job all these years.

Anyone want to claim the corn gas you can get to day is better?  lol, nope.  Today's myopic focus on side issues has really killed off a lot of chemicals that really worked, but needed safe handling to claim today's chemistries are always better.

• Like 1

Well I changed the trans oil today. Couldn't find GL1 anywhere. So, I used GM syncromesh. It's a GL3. Seems on the thin side. Hopefully it works good. The mineral oil wasn't clear anymore. It had the colour of fresh motor oil.

This might be a little off topic but the principle applies. Saw this video last night and the man makes really good points of the changes in oils over time.  Worth a watch to get a different view point to an old  discussion.

Now this video addressed the synthetic engine oil, but the same principals can hold true of the old tranny oils vs the newer tranny oils. Just some food for thought.

Joe Lee

Edited by soth122003

7 hours ago, soth122003 said:

but the same principals can hold true of the old tranny oils vs the newer tranny oils.

Except our old trans were designed with a specific gear oil in mind.  You change that and synchros may not work as designed, gears may not slow down quickly enough to shift without a grind, etc.  More than just lubrication ability comes into play in a manual transmission.

Thread 1, paragraph 4

"My transmission doesn't have synchromesh, but it does still have non-ferrous within"

"a person does need to know what weight they need to slow things down, stay in the case, etc."
"Replace both felts as the May 19th 1934 fire is still the 2nd biggest fire in Chicago's history and started in a Stock Yard transmission shop" 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Semmerling said:

"the May 19th 1934 fire is still the 2nd biggest fire in Chicago's history and started in a Stock Yard transmission shop" 

As you list New England as the area you reside, I feel reasonably sure Chicago is safe from any ill effect of your transmission lube choice.....?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Semmerling said:

"Replace both felts as the May 19th 1934 fire is still the 2nd biggest fire in Chicago's history and started in a Stock Yard transmission shop

That doesn't mean a transmission was at fault. In fact, it appears it was a cigarette igniting straw in the cattle pens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Union_Stock_Yards_fire_(1934)

Edited by Sniper

Sniper...it wasn't really in T1 - P4. But it was just a way of slipping in the felts as most don't replace them and they harden and wont carry lube to the upper shifting rail deck. Nor do they depress the spring loaded detents and lube them either. Its a crusade...a long lonely one....but, well, like an eternal sentinel....somebody has to do it.....

Now, back to the action....the cache of vintage Canadian Lubrications.......
PAdams...N, S, E, W...the where of it doesn't matter.....I get the call and its go time. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47rkbmyrelukx8qpwr9i

Edited by Semmerling

9 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

See, now you talk all about your special IMPORT oil....might double the value of our car.....?

A quarter fell out of my pocket while driving, damn near doubled the value of my car! 

• Like 1

I too eye’d up the Chevron GL-1 here in Canada. I seem to recall it was only available in a 50 gallon drum. At this 1,000 miles per year, there will be GL-1 oil going to the new owner, long after any of my possible future grand-kids are done with the family heirloom! ?

18 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

I too eye’d up the Chevron GL-1 here in Canada. I seem to recall it was only available in a 50 gallon drum. At this 1,000 miles per year, there will be GL-1 oil going to the new owner, long after any of my possible future grand-kids are done with the family heirloom! ?

Ya not going to happen. This Pennzoil synchromesh seems ok. And I had it on the shelf already.