Oil Pan Swap - 230 vs 218

Bob Riding
Go to solution Solved by Jerry B,

In a recent thread @Dodgeb4ya caught that my '56 230 had a front sump oil pan and might have clearance issues in my stock '52 Suburban. Well he was correct (thanks Dodgeb4ya!). I went searching for a rear sump pan from a 218 motor and found one at DCM Classics. They specialize in Dodge truck stuff, which of course overlaps some with our car parts. He has a pan in stock, but not the oil pickup tube and strainer. I asked him if my front oil pickup tube could be rotated to the rear and used with the 218 pan, but he didn't know. Knowing how mother Mopar was with reusing parts from different cars and trucks from different years, I'm hoping it will work, but anyone else done the swap and know for sure?

IMG_4326.jpeg

You have to use the correct car rear sump pick up to fit the rear sump pan.

1948 on up 218/230 front sump truck oil pans and pick up's are wrong for car applications.

There are two styles of correct rear sump oil pans for your car...

Baffled and non baffled. Either will work.

I'd want the rear sump baffled oil pan.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 48ply1stcar said:

About 9 years ago I put a 230 in my 48, I just re-plumed the oil pick-up I probably used the 218 plumping.  I think this is page 3 of the thread, if not there is a cluster of piures of the oil pick-up. 

Great thread, thanks! yesterday, I was able to find a pickup/strainer from a local yard for $40. Out of a "52 Dodge, so it should be no sweat.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out that the 218 oil pickup tube is slightly different from the the 230. Chrysler (of course) reused the strainers, as they were the same. Fits great in the rear position. Now to get the pan in shape - flattening out the bolt hole distortions and welding up a pinhole.

IMG_5830.JPG

IMG_5828.JPG