fuel line to fuel tank connection

diben

Hi,  I have a simple question regarding the connection of the fuel line to the gas tank. Does it require a single or double flare?  I replaced my gas tank in my 52 dodge and preparing the fuel line for connection.  I'm using 5/16 copper nickel line and I am not sure if I am to make a single or double flare to seal the connection.  I attached  a photo of the gas tank connection.

thanks

20230519_105030.jpg

It is possible (likely?) that the fitting is NPT tapered threads. Try screwing a pipe thread fitting into the tank to see if it threads in easily and then tightens. If that is the case, an easy transition is to use a NPT barb fitting with a short length of rubber fuel line between the fitting and hard line. This was the case with my replacement tank.

If the NPT fitting doesn't work then you might need the small brass insert that was used in the original tank to form the proper flare connection.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

I wasnt aware that a brass fitting is needed.  the depth of the gas tank fitting isnt deep, not sure if the brass fitting will work. Attached is the fitting I have from a donor car, Was difficult to find the correct fitting new.

20230521_101853.jpg

If you just replaced the tank, there should be some instructions on the manufacturer website.

For example my new "Tanks" uses NPT threads. I picked up a brass bushing that converts it to the threads needed for 5/16" fuel line or a 5/16" nipple is what I will use.

A rubber line to get to the frame rail & add a fuel filter then connect to the hard line.

My bushing will get some pipe dope to seal it to the tank ...... your bushing shown looks similar.

IMG_20230521_084751.jpg.916ccbf4f039ac1eb77f80d4f2c1ca86.jpg

As Sam and LosControl mentioned, the easy fix is the NPT fitting and a short length of fuel line. Admittedly, I could trim that line a little and cleaned up the pipe dope from the threads ...

This is my new fuel tank, from vansautolic:

PXL-20221121-222038252.jpg

Edited by JohnTeee
image link

I was able to get the old fitting off of the old fuel tank and there is what looks like a copper type ferrel but it is not like the one suggested with both sides of the ferrel beveled.  I attached photos of the fitting and ferrel taken off the old tank.  Looks like the fuel line is single flared and the ferrel is a different style.  Not sure what type it is.

That double beveled brass insert is for 1946-48 original MoPar car tanks.

1949 thru 52 use your  style fittings.

New repro tanks....follow manufacturer's line connection instructions if any.

Just in case anyone will find this useful, as I was confused when I replaced the tank on my 1950 Plymouth last year. I ordered a replacement from MoparPro on eBay (free shipping). My original tank was out of the car when I got it but I had the old line and the extra-long fitting like diben shows. But I kept reading about this mysterious "ferrule" that I needed as well. I couldn't find it in my garage, I assumed it fell out when the previous owner removed the tank. I emailed MoparPro and asked if I needed the ferrule on the replacement tank and they said I did. But I couldn't get the new hard line threaded with the old fitting nor with the ferrule; there wasn't enough thread depth to catch on the new tank. I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think I bubble flared the line and used a regular brake line fitting from my pile 'o parts and it is working fine. 

If you look at the old fitting, it looks like it almost has a bubble flare on the end. There seems to be some confusion about which years used the ferrule, it seems like 49+ did not use the ferrule and used the extra-long fitting. 

The brake lines and gas line were both doubled flared on my 1948 Plymouth. Most up to date flaring tools do both, it is a good idea to practice before trying the double flare and be sure to use a little oil, it really helps.

7 minutes ago, Bob Ritter said:

The brake lines and gas line were both doubled flared on my 1948 Plymouth. Most up to date flaring tools do both, it is a good idea to practice before trying the double flare and be sure to use a little oil, it really helps.

Using NiCu line helps even more.

Another thing to do to prevent leaks is to seat the flare into a fitting.  I like to use a spare fitting to screw the new double flare into and seat it a couple times, then inspect the flare for a circular ring where it mated properly tot eh fitting, if it's not there or not a complete circle it'll leak.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...