1947 Dodge D24 Sedan… E-Brake cable snapped - Replacement source?

hbpaints

Good evening guys… 

So first trip out tonight with the car and as luck would have it… the ebrake cable snapped.

it was slightly frayed right after the interior handle, so I knew to be careful, but I guess it was worse than I thought…

Anyone have a good source for a replacement cable? In Canada would be fantastic, but, at this point, I’ll order from wherever I can find one? 

oh, and is there anything special I should know about changing it out? 

thanks…

Rob

I bought one not long ago from Andy Bernbaum's in the states; this was for a '49. It ended up being a bit short but I was able to make it work. I would think your application might be more common than mine.

• Like 1

most all the cables even through the 2004 Mopar cables I have used in retrofitting is the same basic cable and retainer size albeit different shape will lock the cable to the handle or the distant end adjuster or to the very rear backing plate and spanner on those models with drum brakes.  Modern units can be two piece/three piece cable and connecting collars used...various lengths exist....easy retrofitting with these setups and are so readily available at the wrecking yard as this is an item that is 99% of the time crushed with the car even after offered to be picked over to the general public.  

The 48 bz cpe with the 2004 rear axle using the donor 04 cable all the way to the stock hand brake handle....where it got a single mod of the 04's switch for e-brake light to let you know it is set via the light on the information panel.  

• Like 1

If you haven’t changed the cable by now, I just did mine and got a direct fit from Andy Bernbaum for $100.  The issue I had was my ‘50 P19 calls for a specific size and Bernbaum sent me the common sized one for my model which ended up being too long.  I had to exchange for the shorter one that fit perfectly.  

IMG_0665.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 8:39 PM, Antalamo said:

If you haven’t changed the cable by now, I just did mine and got a direct fit from Andy Bernbaum for $100.  The issue I had was my ‘50 P19 calls for a specific size and Bernbaum sent me the common sized one for my model which ended up being too long.  I had to exchange for the shorter one that fit perfectly.  

IMG_0665.jpeg

Thanks for the information... I will order one today... 

Mine snapped right under the dash, but looking over the remainder of the cable, its time for a replacement.... lol

Rob.