Brake adjustment question

Nigel Bailey

Hi all, I am attempting to set up the brake linings on my 1948 D25 Dodge for a more concentric fit inside the drum, using one of the Andy Bernbaum adjustment tools. I get the process, and the need to adjust the cam at the heel end of each shoe with the drum off. Now this may well be a stupid question, but I assume I need to slacken off the anchor bolt nuts on the backing plate before I can adjust these? I've only ever done the 'minor' adjustment at the toe end of the shoe before with the drum still on, and I'm finding the cam on the anchor bolt for the heel of the each shoe is very tight and difficult to adjust much. Thanks in advance for any advice as I learn my way around the old girl-after a few hiccups along the way, she should hopefully be registered and back on the road in a couple of months! 

you can spray some PB Blaster on the upper cam halfmoon adjuster to loosen it up. It could be  rusty or filled will dirt and crud.

When you move the eccentric pin and get ready to lock it in position use the open end wrench to hold it in place and then use you torque wrench to tighten up the nut in the back to around 75 ft lbs.

Rich

Keith has a good video on making a brake adjusting tool AB price is $95. Kinda steep to my way of thinking. Here is Keiths video

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 11:10 AM, Nigel Bailey said:

Now this may well be a stupid question, but I assume I need to slacken off the anchor bolt nuts on the backing plate before I can adjust these?

Yes that is the case. As mentioned by desoto 1939  hold onto the eccentric when tightening up that nut. On my 37 Plymouth, I also have 2 cotter pins. I assume yours does as well and should be replaced.

If you can not turn the eccentrics you may have to pull the eccentrics and clean them out, I put copper slip on so they do not rust up again. I also did mine one eccentric at a time.

• Like 1

Keith used to make the tool you see on bernbaums site. he sold his for 100 but that may have include shipping . not sure about that. however, i bought one and it makes a big difference in how the brakes work when the job is done. to me, worth every penny.    dennis

• Like 1

The story goes: I wanted a brake tool. I did not want to pay the premium for an original. i saw some ideas on line and here. I worked with my friend who has machining equipment. He made me one. I offered a few ideas for improvements. He has some ideas.  He made another one. I thought we had it dial’d in.  He and I worked together to build and sell many of these brake tools. I shipped them all over the world to Moapr lovers everywhere. Unfortunately Mopar Pro bought one and reverse engineered it. He copied it 100%. I challenged him on it and his response was pretty low. He mass produced them and sells them on E-bay. I believe he also supplies them to Bernbaum. 

Its a free country.  There’s not much I can do about it. I stopped making the tool. I figure, maybe a good way to get even is show the world how to build their own tool.  Lol. Spread the word folks. Maybe we can cut his sales by 75%. ?

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Sniper said:

I don't buy from MoParPro

When I had to rebuild my transmission I needed a main shaft, stop rings and shifting plates. I found that mopar pro was by far the most expensive. needless to say, I did not use them. I also found that Andy Birnbaum's shipping costs to the UK were $85 flat rate. Even if the part you needed was $5 you still had to pay $85 shipping. I try not to use him either.

10 hours ago, keithb7 said:

The story goes: I wanted a brake tool. I did not want to pay the premium for an original. i saw some ideas on line and here. I worked with my friend who has machining equipment. He made me one. I offered a few ideas for improvements. He has some ideas.  He made another one. I thought we had it dial’d in.  He and I worked together to build and sell many of these brake tools. I shipped them all over the world to Moapr lovers everywhere. Unfortunately Mopar Pro bought one and reverse engineered it. He copied it 100%. I challenged him on it and his response was pretty low. He mass produced them and sells them on E-bay. I believe he also supplies them to Bernbaum. 

Its a free country.  There’s not much I can do about it. I stopped making the tool. I figure, maybe a good way to get even is show the world how to build their own tool.  Lol. Spread the word folks. Maybe we can cut his sales by 75%. ?

Sorry to hear that Keith. I'd wish I'd seen your video earlier-things sometimes take a while to surface here in Oz, but the people on this Forum are always informative and helpful! I've had my own unsatisfactory experience with the retailer you mention, but I'll leave it at that. 

That's a horrible thing to do, copy somebody's invention and not give them at least a royalty.  It's also not very cool to me if Andy B. knew about this and still bought them from MoparPro.  The only bright side to this is that sales of the tool is relativity small compared to a Pet Rock or Hula-Hoop or something like that. That dates me. Although you wouldn't think you could patent a rock.