Starter motor

jgreg53
Go to solution Solved by jgreg53,

Trying to start my 48. She was cranking over and then stopped cranking.  Solenoid still clicks when I cross the poles. Battery is showing 6.3 volts. (I'm  charging it anyway). I tightened cables and wires to the solenoid. Cleaned battery posts and cables. I rebuilt the starter several years ago myself. What do you guys think? Starter again?

That would be my guess. Several years in a hot cold climate can do wonders on parts and electrical components. Crud on the stator and or brushes. Corrosion on the cable connections. The relay is a fairly sealed unit. the starter and cables and wire connections, not so much.

Joe Lee

You can try to jump out the starter with a set of jumper cables. Negative battery terminal to starter stud. This takes the your battery  cables and solenoid out of the loop to see if starter is really the issue. Also check your ground cable too. If it's questionable use positive jumper to go from + side of battery to good ground on block. 

This is for positive ground car. 

The solenoid can click and still be the problem. Using a test light put it on the solenoid output and to ground. Then hit the key to see if it lghts up. If you can't see the test light I like to use a horn as a test light. If there is power and ground you can heat a horn. You may be able to manually engage the solenoid if it uses an exposed pivot for the Bendix. I've been known to do that.

took the starter apart. found 2 of the brushes broken off from where i soldered them before.  trying to resolder but can't get it to stick.  took the starter to a shop near me.  should be ready tomorrow.  really doesn't look like a very solid place to solder. i really can't tell what i'm looking at, spyder with your pic.

Edited by jgreg53

• 2 weeks later...