T&C Engines

Merle Coggins

Correct as Doug&Deb posted.

All the C38 1946-48 sedans came with the 251 six but used the heavy 8 cylinder chassis parts as used on the bigger model C39 8 cylinder cars.

Even the  huge nine passenger1941-42 T&C "Barrel Back" woodie's used the 251 engine.

• Like 1

I just wanna drive a straight 8. Wish there was a friend around here with one. I’d love to see how it performs on the steep hill home.  Perhaps the 25” 237 in my 38 Plym has a better power to weight ratio? Mine makes nice torque. Sure be interested in finding out. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I have seen incorrect signage in museums before.

My wife and I went to a fancy furniture store back in Minnesota. We saw a print of Kenilworth Castle England in a very nice frame. It was priced right and we were going to buy it except on the back of the frame it said it was Warwick Castle. My wife said we will buy it but the correct identification on the back needs to be changed. The clerk said it was correct and that they do not make mistakes. If it says it is Warwick then it is. My wife then said It was not Warwick Castle but Kenilworth. The clerk was not going to have us tell her she was wrong. Then I said, You are wrong my wife lived in Kenilworth and use to play in that Castle as a child before it became a tourist attraction. They changed the information.

Kenilworth Castle - Wikipedia Kenilworth Castle

Warwick Castle - British CastlesWarwick Castle

Edited by SteveR
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

I just wanna drive a straight 8. Wish there was a friend around here with one. I’d love to see how it performs on the steep hill home.  Perhaps the 25” 237 in my 38 Plym has a better power to weight ratio? Mine makes nice torque. Sure be interested in finding out. 

I would assume that the 23" 1959 Plymouths and Dodges, and the 25" 1954 Chryslers, Desotos and Imperials had the the best power to weight ratios, as they had the highest hp, but it would be interesting to see the difference between the sixes and eights. Not sure if engine weight changed much over the years, or how much heavier the longer engines were.

I agree.

I was thinking of the power to weight ratio of the entire car weight. My ‘38 sedan with 237 ci seems pretty light to me. Much lighter than my ‘53 265 ci Chrysler.  The only crumple zone is the entire car lol. 

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

I agree.

I was thinking of the power to weight ratio of the entire car weight. My ‘38 sedan with 237 ci seems pretty light to me. Much lighter than my ‘53 265 ci Chrysler.  The only crumple zone is the entire car lol. 

Not to mention the spear that doubles as the steering column...best not to ponder - just wear your seat belt and have fun!

The 1946-48 Chrysler straight eights sweet spot is 60-75....

The highway is the horse track for them.

Unlike the six.

The eights are some what lethargic until you hit 35-40...then that's where the power band starts and is good up through 70 mph +.

My 1946 NewYorker 3 passenger cpe was kinda a hot rod being so light in the back end.

I love driving my 48 woodie convertible on the back country two lanes. Luxury.

Smooth quiet and powerful.

20200507_131807_compress40.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I agree.

A little math: 

Your '38 Plymouth with the 237 weighs 2,814 lbs  and has 112hp = 25 lbs/hp.

Your '53 Chrysler with the 265 weighs 4,015 lbs  and has 119hp =  34lbs/hp

As a reference a   2dr '70 Cuda weighs 3,645 lbs  and has 335hp = 11lbs/hp!  

4 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I agree.

The crumple zones are:  (1) The occupants and (2) The other car.  Regarding #1, as Bob Riding said, it's just best not to think too much about these things.  We all should be aware of these things by now, so it's best to just have fun.

Thanks Bob. I knew my little '38 P6 237 ci was pretty zippy around town! My seat of the pants calculations were right. It's like a baby 'Cuda.

Edited by keithb7
  • Haha 1

Lots of torque with the straight 8.  My 48 T@C convertible has no problem going up a 7 degree sloped hill in 3rd close to my house and yes can run all day comfortable at 60-70 but by no means is that the top speed.  Agree though that unless you use the low range getting to 35-40 is lethargic 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

just wear your seat belt and have fun!

Seat belts!? We don't need no stinking seat belts!

• Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 2:51 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Correct as Doug&Deb posted.

All the C38 1946-48 sedans came with the 251 six but used the heavy 8 cylinder chassis parts as used on the bigger model C39 8 cylinder cars.

Even the  huge nine passenger1941-42 T&C "Barrel Back" woodie's used the 251 engine.

Thanks for clearing that up. I am now smarter than I was yesterday… 

• Like 1

Don,

Yes, Chrysler Industrial did make Flathead 8-cylinder engines. I saw a Bay City shovel with one a few years ago!

Walt

Yes...the 1946-50 Chrysler flsthead "8" was used a lot in industrial and marine markets.

The industrial and marine engines are slightly different than passenger car engines.

Cranks, cams, oil pumps, manifolding, and reverse rotation, are some of the differences.

Have seen a few of each.