How do you see your turn signal indicators?

OUTFXD

When driving Jacquiline,  I am constantly craining my neck around to see what the Turn signal is doing.  Weather or not its turning on the signal for an upcomming turn (My switch is a little finicky) or  trying to see if I cancelled the turn signal while driving in a straight line after making a turn. It seems like the steering wheel is constantly in the way.

I have no clue if this is covered under "Distracted driving" or not.  I dont care to find out.

Moving the turn signal switch up or down doesnt seem to be a good option,  It is either blocking controls or potentially catching on my pants leg as I enter the vehicle. I have been thinking about modifying a Fulton visor style Traffic Signal Viewer to show the indicator flashing.

Anyone tried this?  What other "life hacks" have you used to make the turn signal indicators more visible?

I could only see my turn signal and high beam indicators at night, and even then it was dim. When I had the cluster apart for cleaning I found that the plastic lenses had rotted and would barely pass light. I hunted through my junkbox and found a matching red & green panel lamp cover that fit the hole perfectly. I can see clearly now!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Didn't your original one have a turn indicator?

Yep, and my new cluster has no provision for a high beam indicator, lol. 

The new cluster has both a left and right turn indicator though.

9 hours ago, D35 Torpedo said:

My gauge cluster has a red light for high beams and a green light that I use for the signals. I put an LED in and used diodes to feed it from either signal.

I did the same and was quickly criticized for not knowing that the 3rd tab on the flasher is for the indicator lite!!!! It is now wired correctly with the green indicator functioning and I added a buzzer so I can hear when they are on, otherwise my wife lets me know.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

Yep, and my new cluster has no provision for a high beam indicator, lol. 

The new cluster has both a left and right turn indicator though.

Dad told me he had his 51 wired that way for a while. During resto he put it back though 

3 hours ago, DJK said:

I did the same and was quickly criticized for not knowing that the 3rd tab on the flasher is for the indicator lite!!!! It is now wired correctly with the green indicator functioning and I added a buzzer so I can hear when they are on, otherwise my wife lets me know.

Except these aftermarket flashers are crap. That function doesn't work properly. I tried all kinds of things to make it work. I opened the flasher and played with the circuit, changing components. Then I looked it up and found many others with the same issue, so I abandonded it. The main issue was that the light would stay on constantly.

1 hour ago, D35 Torpedo said:

Except these aftermarket flashers are crap. That function doesn't work properly. I tried all kinds of things to make it work. I opened the flasher and played with the circuit, changing components. Then I looked it up and found many others with the same issue, so I abandonded it. The main issue was that the light would stay on constantly.

The issue with the newer 535 flashers is that they are electronic and they are designed for use on a negative ground system. If you can find an old thermal 6 volt flasher, get it. They are not partial to positive or negative ground.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rallyace said:

The issue with the newer 535 flashers is that they are electronic and they are designed for use on a negative ground system. If you can find an old thermal 6 volt flasher, get it. They are not partial to positive or negative ground.

I thought they were for 6v positive ground. They have a PNP transistor inside. I'm not an electronics wiz. But I know enough to be dangerous.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, D35 Torpedo said:

I have the same concern at times with a vintage 535 flasher.

• Thanks 1

I have a vintage VP632 turn signal. It does not have the hazard capability. The problem I had with it is the bulb. If 6vdc you are ok but my car is 12vdc and a 12vdc bulb will not fit under the cover. I wired a LED and it works great.

There is one on ebay for $29.50 https://www.ebay.com/itm/194725546072

Edited by SteveR
  • Thanks 1