Dressing Wheels & Tires

OUTFXD

6 hours ago, Ivan_B said:

What kind of enamel did you use?

I use Rustoleum Industrial Enamel cut 20% with Lacquer thinner over Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer applied with a $16 Harbor Freight HVLP gun. Nothing but the best low budget stuff for MY car!

7 hours ago, Ivan_B said:

For some reason, the white walls on the pictures appeared to have uneven edges

The first couple pictures I had applied the shoe whitener (intentionally) sloppily painting over the Ridge where the white wall started so I could clean back to the ridge to get a sharp looking line!

7 hours ago, Ivan_B said:

Thank you for the clarification.

Very welcome! I am always happy to help others! Feel free to ask any questions you have!

• Like 2

The end product looks pretty good. ...... I am surprised though.

While I use the same $16 hvlp gun, Rustoleum  primer & enamel paint from Tractor supply ..... although not sure today who makes TS paint ... they made a change.

The first time I sprayed the paint I used Lacquer thinner ..... I was left with what looked like orange peel. ... kinda odd, not obvious, but it did not look right.

I then read some more, Lacquer thinner is not to be used with enamel paint.

I bought a gallon of paint thinner from Ace hardware, used it to mix my paint .... it did come out looking better. .... I was spraying larger panels like inner fenders.

Just saying that was my experience.  .... Maybe with a wheel with some lumps & pits in it, you will not notice.

On a larger flat surface, you would see something that maybe you do not like ..... Lacquer thinner & Enamel paint is advised they do not mix .... they do get the job done though.

• Thanks 1

Lacquer thinner used in enamel paints causes  much too fast of dry time that does not allow enough time for the enamel to flow out smooth  before it flashes off (sets) and causes rough surfaces.

When the outside temp was cool enough and just enough thinner is used , sometimes a reasonable paint finish could be accomplished.

But, it also tends to flatten (dull) the finish. It was  sometimes used in that way in the past to purposely make flat paint finishes before you could buy same.  IE flat black.

Enamel  "reducers"  are sold in several dying Speeds to allow the correct flash off times to allow for temperatures and humanities variations.

DJ

• Thanks 2

well... not here to argue.  But the entire car has now been painted using lacquer thinner.  Maybe not the best looking paint job in the world,  but far from "Flat black".  I'm pretty sure shes a cut & buff away from a glossy finish.

Does explain a few things though.

I double checked the label and yes,  you are supposed to use Mineral spirits as thinner.    My only thought is that I bought mineral spirits for thinner and lacquer thinner to clean the gun,  then got confused when I got home.

I was wondering why I had such a hard time getting the paint to atomize correctly!

12 hours ago, OUTFXD said:

well... not here to argue.  But the entire car has now been painted using lacquer thinner.  Maybe not the best looking paint job in the world,  but far from "Flat black".  I'm pretty sure shes a cut & buff away from a glossy finish.

Does explain a few things though.

Really it looks great. I did the same thing on my truck & it is holding up after a few years just fine. I'm backwards.

I'm blowing my truck apart & painting everything underneath as I put it back together ... outside is just primer to be painted later.

I just noticed with the paint I was using iirc bought it from Ace hardware .... May not be the same as Rustoleum.

Possibly I mixed mine using more lacquer thinner then you .... I go by feel not by measurement. Just thin & stir til I think it is right. Something I want to spray.

Just saying I noticed it right away on the first panel I sprayed. .... So I asked here for help. I never did respray that fender & it is fine.

It was @Plymouthy Adams told me what my mistake was, and gave me a lot of advice. I say thank you again.

So now I just use paint thinner to mix with to spray underneath .... be honest I just want it protected, not concerned with looks.

When I am ready to paint the exterior, something I do care about.

I will have a fresh gallon of gloss black enamel from tractor supply. They sell a reducer add 1 pint to a gallon of paint .... not expensive, a step above mineral spirits.

Then from Napa I get a pint can of universal gloss hardener ... makes your enamel paint 1 grade better ..... supposedly.

About the best you can do for enamel paint .... sooo I'm told.

If you look at off topic post I made earlier today in "show your gardens" The 16'x16' shed in background is Rustoleum white mixed with paint thinner 3-4 years ago & holding up fine. The garden box is same paint 2 years old. My $16 hvlp gun has a few miles on it  :D

• Thanks 1