Costs to show your cars at local car shows has been risen to $30 day of show reg

desoto1939

I have been noticing that the entry fee for day of show car registration has been slowly increasing.

The local shows in my area around the greater Philadelphia area has now increased to $25 pre-reg and upto $30 day of show registration.

As we all know, yes the costs for local clubs to keep their clubs financially afloat has risen and they are passing along the costs to the local car owners.

At this point in time for me to spend $30 to enter a show plus fill the gas tank with gas with $20 worth of gas at 3.75 is around 5 gallons of gas.

Then buy some lunch or some coffee at the show and if you arrive after the dash placques have been all distributed then you are not even getting a participation award.

As the prices go higher I am now getting very selective on what clubs to support and what shows to attend.  A $50+ day to show are car is now starting to get very hard for me and my wallet.  This is one of the main reasons why we are seeing the increase of Cruise-Ins because there is no registration fees and or other items that a business has to pay out of pocket.

Yes some of these cruise-Ins are at establishments that offer food and other items but at least you have the option to purchase a meal or not. So my only cost is some gas money and I am not spending a whole day maybe with a potential to get a trophy or dust collector for the basement.

What are other car and truck owner thought on this topic of increasing entry fees and how it is affecting them???????

All comments are welcome and no-one is right or wrong just an opportunity go get input from everyone.

Rich Hartung

I hear ya Rich

I took the pledge this year and Boogers not using corn gas anymore. Non oxy gas is 4.50 a gal. I attended a local car show a couple of years back. It took me almost an hour to get in! My old clutch wasnt diggin that. So now I park outside and walk in. (and that way I can bail early if I want0 and still enjoy the sights

Allot of shows I attended are free. Allot in this area are free.  Some even supply lunch and it's still free. The of course the big ones cost me camping and entrance fees and so on. I'm just selective on larger shows.

19 minutes ago, Dansk said:

I always wondered why the guy with a car has to pay to get in but the spectator is free. Not always, but a lot of times.

A long time ago and all the the way across the continent I was the "activities chair" for an antique car club. At that time our primary fundraiser was a "shopping center meet". It worked like this:

1. The owner of the shopping center or the merchants would decide they wanted something to drive some more sales.

2. They would contact our club and ask for five or ten cars. Owners of the cars would typically get a voucher good for lunch at some establishment in the shopping center. The club would get a donation.

3. The merchants would advertise in the local media that there would be antique cars at their shopping center.

There were a few big meets that would have entrance fees, but mostly the car shows were all free for the participants. And if it was a show that was designed to get the general public into the area's shops then it was definitely free for the car owners. A minor exception would be for a show at a non-profit or for charitable organization, we would gladly pay a non-profit for admission.

When I moved to California this concept of a "shopping center meet" where the participants (or their club) were paid to display their cars did not seem to exist. Nearly every event here wants the car owner to pay.

Needless to say, I have never displayed my car at the local summer car show in my town because they want me to pay for the privilege of promoting the local merchants. That show is only two blocks from my house so it is not a matter of fuel or wear and tear on the car. It is simply a matter that I see no reason for me to pay for participating in an event that is designed to get people to come and spend money in for profit businesses.

Interesting to me, there is a local outlet mall not too far away that has a "cars & coffee" event every Saturday. Event is free for everyong. And it appears to me that a lot of the spectators spend time, and perhaps money, in the outlet stores during and after the show. So maybe one local business has figured out that hosting a free car show pays for itself.

I also never understand the concept of paying for the "privilege" to attract customers to the local stores, while sitting next to your car at some hot parking lot, all day long, watching nervously to make sure that no one bumps your door, sits on your fender, etc. ?

However, if some people are willing to pay for a certain emotional satisfaction of having their car on display - good for them!

In my 35 years of driving, I've always had something old enough to enter in a show. But I've only done it 3-4 times. The main issue, for me, is I don't like sitting still for that long. I think my best experience was a fundraiser for a local Vo-tech. It seems the county schools were holding a surplus auction next door that morning so I kept running back and forth between the two. Now, there are a few antique tractor shows locally where you can enter for free, and really come and go as you please. Those are handy because it gets you a good parking space, and they're low-key (no judging.) Only one of those shows charges general admission, and if you have something to display you get in free. 

There was one big show that I thought of entering; spectators paid something like $10 to get in the door, while those wanting to display had to pay $45. If you stayed all weekend you stood to get enough swag (lots of door prizes) but it didn't make sense for just a few hours. 

I like meeting people and talking about cars, when I have time. A local drive whenever I feel like it is adequate and fun. I don't particularly like parking my car for a very long day in the hot sun while I mill around, stuck in a car show. Our local big show has you tied down from 7am-4pm in August. No leaving early. I've participated a few times, asking my car not be judged. I don't want a trophy for a car that I did not restore. The local fee is pretty cheap. Its about a 10 minute drive for me. Its not about the cost, its the long day for me.I'd rather go to a show as a spectator and leave whenever I want.

• Like 1

We have a few of the local not for profit groups in the area that have paid entry events. Entry fees are always less than $20.00 Canadian. Usually a majority of the money goes towards some prizes and trophies and a percentage stays with the not for profit group to help sponsor their projects. Two examples are local Agricultural Societies which sponsor youth actitivites such as 4H and Junior Achievement. I don't have trouble helping those groups by entering my car because a much bigger dollar value is raised by the volunteers who cater to the general public by charging entry, selling snacks, meals or paraphernalia. These events usually last about 4 hours and are come when you can and leave when you have to. I know there are other larger events that have larger entry fees and no "community" advantage and I stay away from them. My prize is the drive to get there and back, always fun to drive!

We here in England have several shows to attend. Rally of the Giants is all American and probably the largest. To Club members its free. My wife and I like to go to the Welland Steam Fair. There is so much to see it takes two days. It also is free and only by invite. We don't mind sitting next to our car and talking to people. We usually bring a small camp stove and brew up a cup of tea. Owning an American Car in England is a unique experience and most people are not use to seeing them. We will usually let interested people both young and old sit in our car.

I do find charging the car owner a fee, unwanted especially when the public has to pay as well to see the cars. 

The insurer, Footman James has a Coffee and Chrome meet every so often where its free and you get a cup of coffee/tea and a bacon butty. The problem with this is it's always on a Sunday and I would rather be in Church sense I am one of the Preachers there.

On Wednesday about once a month there is a Wheels on Wednesday in the grounds of Spetchley Park. It dates back to 1605 and all cars are welcome for £5

Lots of pros and cons to the car shows as pointed out here.  The number one reason for me not to attend is the locked up period where the car is not allowed to be moved because of the risk due to foot traffic of the event.  I hate the idea of sitting about babysitting a car and locked in place.  The fees for the owners to enter their cars is over the top when compared to the free to public foot traffic.  Food venders off the wall cost and yes I know they paying space and often percentage of gross for the captured audience.   Venders are often liable to the owner of the facility and nothing back to the clubs.  For funding for the club, sometimes a good revenue maker, often a break even event, hopefully no losses.  I still prefer the come and go with no fanfare and formalities of the show event with no awards that is the local cruise-ins.  My last awards show I attended was 2003...truly do not care to return to that atmosphere.

Despite owning appropriate vehicles everywhere we've lived since I got out of the Army (7 places), we've only been in two car clubs, one in NM, and the one here in northern Maine.  I don't know how the NM one operates nowadays, but when we were members, we did not charge entry or spectator fees for their annual show. 

The one here has one signature event every year, and that's our summer cruise-in weekend.  It costs money to have a nice show, trophies (here, members' cars are prohibited from winning anything), fee for the space, up-front money for vittles for our food truck, and the kicker is insurance.  We fund all that partly from membership dues, and mostly from sponsorships from businesses, individuals, and families.  If we were to consider charging an admission, most of the club members would resign.  While we do have t-shirts made for the event, we sell them vs. give them away, but that only pays for the t-shirts.  Our goal is not to make money, we're a 501(c) non-profit (I don't remember which sub-paragraph), but to provide a welcoming environment for families and car owners to get together and enjoy similar interests for a weekend.  What little money we make, we donate to a worthy charity.  None of the other local car clubs I know of charge an admission for their own shows.

While some clubs are ostensibly non-profit, their goal is still to make as much money as possible.  What they use it for is their business, but if it's a 501 it has to go back into the club somehow, or a percentage be donated.  If it's not a 501 non-profit, there are no restrictions other than their own by-laws on what they use it for, but I don't know of any clubs that don't try to help out their communities.  They don't do the 501 thing mainly to avoid the hassles of being one, such as a mandatory audit every year, and other hoops that have to be jumped through to maintain that status.

There are several shows in Maine that are done to support a specific organization.  I.e., every year the Boy Scouts of America (sorry, just Scouts now) put on a nice show in Brewer that one of the local car clubs organizes for them.  There are shows that support museums (such as the Owls Head Transportation Museum), hospitals, the Red Cross, etc.  They have to cover the costs of putting on the show, as well as have a respectable amount for the organization being supported.  Over the past few years, several shows in Maine have ceased because overhead costs were too much. 

If it's a worthy cause, we don't mind paying an entry or spectator fee. 

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Lots of pros and cons to the car shows as pointed out here.  The number one reason for me not to attend is the locked up period where the car is not allowed to be moved because of the risk due to foot traffic of the event.  I hate the idea of sitting about babysitting a car and locked in place.  

Only been to one show around here with that silly rule. Show was on public streets but somehow the guys with the expensive classics couldn't be trusted not to mow down people if they wanted to leave. I was quite annoyed with them as we had smaller children and wanted to participate but still put them to bed. I attend a few pay shows but mostly focus on the come and go as you please cruises

• Like 1

I am the person that started this original posting regarding paying to show our cars at car show. I would like to thank everyone for their individual input and experiences over the years with their cars.

I know one poster stated that at some shows they would get a voucher for some form of a lunch. I have always stated that if we the car owners have paid a fee and the spectators pay nothing then at least the promoter of the event should provide a voucher for some lunch food items, such as at least a hotdog and a soda.  The vender that is providing the items would get paid from the club fees that were collected by the entrants and assume the cost would be at a discount to the participants and the general public then pays the regular cost that the vendor would charge.

Because of the entrance fees I have seen the number of participants slowly getting smaller at they events inwhich you have to pay to show your car and an increase in the Cruise-In type of events such as  Cars and Coffee events.  Just come to the event and socialize with other car guys and the spectators and leave when you need to leave.

Some Cruise in events have food drives for local food banks and also Toys for Tot in the late fall and no entrance fees.  This is the way to go an promote the club for a worthy event.  We also have a local show that is put on by the local all Volunteer fire department. Yes, they do get some funds from the local municipality, but it is never enough to cover everything they do for the community, so I do not mind the entrance fee since it goes to protect the local neighbor's homes and emergency services.

So I to have stopped going to the pay to show your car shows and look for the participation type events.

Please keep your comments coming I appreciate everyones feed back and input.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

i like going to car shows as a participant. 25$ is an amount most would spend to buy something for our cars that we don't even need [fuzzy dice, fancy valve stems,,do not touch signs, and many more]. by the way, i have all those things that i do not really need. guess i need them. anyway, i enjoy sharing stories and info with the people who come to the show. i have an old yellow convertible nicknamed spongebob. i have collected just about every spongebob stuffed animal character and i display them around my car. the kids love it all. at yard sales/flea markets/thrift stores i collect every spongebob toy i can find if they are cheap enough, and i give them away to the kids that come by.the smiles from the kids and the thank yous from the parents are worth paying to be able to sit there and do that. car shows afford you an opportunity to interact with other car people, share stories and get advice and info you can't find elsewhere. people love to talk about " the car they once had" or the one their parents or grandfather had.we get to educate people about old cars or to learn something from them. i agree with some of the negatives about some shows, so  you have to pick ones that you like.i have never been to a show you cannot leave when you want to. if that was the rule i would not go unless it was important to me to be there. the last show i went to cost $20 to enter and i got back way more than that in goody bag stuff.last week i went to a car display at a local auto repair shop, free t shirt,mugs,othe trivia,food,and a $20 gift card to walmart.  like anything else in life, you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear. dig! by the way, i am still looking for a Mrs Puff figure.   capt den 

• Like 1

When in school our kids were involved in sports and theater, so I am familiar with the concept of furnishing the talent and then paying to watch.  I do not go to enough 'awards type' shows anymore to take exception to a $25 fee with no reward expected if the venue is nice and I know there will be a lot of neat cars I wouldn't see otherwise - I go to maybe two a season like that, and it really comes down to having a full day to invest in the activity.  I will more often attend a nearby large (1000+ car) bi-weekly cruise night that I can go to after work; if I get home soon enough I'll take an old MoPar, but I can get away with parking my daily ('22 Challenger R/T Shaker) in the lot if I ran late.  Of course for all those cars at the cruise night, a lot of them aren't all that interesting, (like my Challenger, which is far from the only car of its ilk on any given night). 

My car is not a show car, but when Dad was alive we did car shows with it every weekend throughout the season. He loved them, the cars, most of the people, and the food (seems most had chicken bbq or something available for purchase). There was like a traveling band of cars that were always there and you got to know some of those folks pretty well. After he passed about 8 years ago, I probably attended maybe two car shows. I don't enjoy them without Dad to do the talking to the lookers. I really don't like sitting captive all day either. I try to do a couple cruise-ins each summer, mostly because they are a reason to go for a ride. I prefer to drive, rather than look at old cars. I also like to let kids touch my car, sit in my car or even play in the trunk of my car, but that teaches bad habits to them for when they are around look but don't touch cars. I will do a walk thru of local shows once in awhile, but I have little inclination to enter. I even did a few parades back in the day, but that quickly became no fun. 

Most , not all, of the shows charged an admission for participants, normally $5 up to about $15 or so per car, and I was ok with that as it was usually a volunteer fire company or local charity that profited from the show. We are pretty rural and each town had its own show. Admission for spectators was almost always free and I liked that too.

I have never belonged to any clubs, I sometimes think I would like to, but then I talk myself out of joining for one reason or another. Usually, I just see the club politics and it turns me off.

I have attended several "Cruises"  and loved them. Different from a "Cruise In" in  that you actually cruise around town, like we did when we were kids. Folks line the streets to watch and you get to drive for as long as you like, or until the pre-established quitting time. You can also park for a while and watch others cruise by. Old cars in motion are even more beautiful than they are sitting still.

Great topic Rich!

• Like 1

On Wednesday from 5-8 pm the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners MI has a cruise night. It's free to get in for both participants and spectators. They have food, ice cream and beer for sale. There is live music also. Last summer there was over 1100 cars one night. normally there are 500 or so. I enjoy this cruise a lot more than the sit around all day car shows. 

• Like 1

i have better things to do tan go to car shows and be judged by a  bunch of "armchair quarterbacks" that have not even the smallest clue of what is involved in restoring an antique automobile. I choose to "show" my car while driving it! M

'

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnS48plm said:

On Wednesday from 5-8 pm the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners MI has a cruise night. It's free to get in for both participants and spectators. They have food, ice cream and beer for sale. There is live music also. Last summer there was over 1100 cars one night. normally there are 500 or so. I enjoy this cruise a lot more than the sit around all day car shows. 

When we lived in Port Huron, all the Big Boy restaurants in southeast MI would have a cruise-in night.  Not all on the same night, so you could do a cruise-in to Big Boy every night of the week except Monday.  Of course, you could pop into the restaurant for refreshments, and they all had a DJ at least.  One night a year each restaurant would have live music, the more popular ones would have live music more often.  The one in Port Huron on M25 (24th St.) was always fun, the one in Marysville on Gratiot was "just OK", but it was only a few blocks from where we lived, so we hit it more often.  98% of the cars tended to be hot rods and muscle cars, but when we showed up with the D24, it'd get a lot of attention.  No judging, no fees, but your car would probably get smudged and get little kid faceprints on the windows.  We left Michigan in 2008, so I don't know if all the Big Boys still do that, but my son says the one in Port Huron does.

When we lived in western NY, the big cruise-in destination for the entire Buffalo area was Pautler's Drive-In on Transit Rd. in East Amherst.  No fee, but really good chow that you couldn't pass up.  I think the cruise night was Thursdays, but there were always older cars there.  Matter of fact, Google Earth shows their lot full of old cars.

After a 2 year covid close down, our local Mopar Association changed their format from a formal participant judged class arranged show to a cruise in style format.  Parking was chaotic the muscle car guys started a burn out session, some of the 4wd drive truck folks found a bog area and started mudding.  This within the confines of a county park.  I cruised out after about 45 minutes.  The admission was 20 bucks.  Most of it goes to  burn trauma center at a local hospital.  This year, I will just send a check to the burn unit and skip the event.  It was a nice day with a good representation of late 30s to mid 50s Chrysler products, with good talk amongst owners but now they are spread over the park instead of year of production groups.

There is a weekly cruise in near me every Fri. 4 - 8, no fee, you get a white ticket for a $20 cash prize, also blue raffle tickets are available to purchase. Free cookies and water along with a food vender truck and ice cream truck. There are many shows in the area ranging from $10 - $15 entrance fee. Also there are several groups that have cruises, which I enjoy participating in.

I have never owned a nice “show” car, e.g., street rod, custom, muscle car or nice antique.  But I have put my 50 Chevy pickup I used to own in 4-5 shows and cruises.  Mostly to meet and talk with other car folks.  And like every else, some folks are friendly, helpful and courteous, and others are… not!  There is definitely a social structure in the car hobby.  
Most of the time I go as a spectator and enjoy seeing everything, and generally keep my comments to myself.