Pinewood derby

Young Ed

Z car he named Zag and it won third overall. That's Leo's and he was so happy to win finally as this is his last year in competition 

I remember those days back in the early 80’s with my son. The Cub Scout troop he was in had a track but it was mostly junk so a few of the other leaders and myself built a new one. I wonder whatever happened to it as once he went into Boy Scouts I don’t remember ever seeing it again. Fun though.

The group that runs ours has an aluminum track that breaks down into small sections. They setup at our location and then handle all the timing of the cars. 

Ah, yes.  I remember doing the Pinewood Derby thing when my brother and I were Cub Scouts in Dallas...in the late '60s.  Our area had the races at the Lenore Kirk Hall elementary school's auditorium.  I remember that it was fun, and my car did not look anywhere as good as yours.  Couldn't get my son interested in Scouting, though.  Congrats on the placing!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Ah, yes.  I remember doing the Pinewood Derby thing when my brother and I were Cub Scouts in Dallas...in the late '60s.  Our area had the races at the Lenore Kirk Hall elementary school's auditorium.  I remember that it was fun, and my car did not look anywhere as good as yours.  Couldn't get my son interested in Scouting, though.  Congrats on the placing!

Same here, though it was in the grade school cafeteria in Wisconsin. I was already a Weblos and on my way out by the time our troop held one. As I had to look up how to spell Weblos, all I remember about my car was that it was green.

We had girls, so it was Brownies and cookie sales.

When I was a Cub Scout, Dad and I built a replica of a fenderless car called The T Bug that we saw in Hot Rod magazine. The front of it looked like a Ford model-T & the back of it looked like a boat tail Bugatti.

I searched the Internet in years past for a photograph of this car, but I never could find one.

It was probably someone short-lived project car and it became, in time, something else.

• 2 weeks later...

In the 80s I carved out the basic car for my son. He wanted it to look like a 1980 Lamborghini Countach with open wheels. He finished the sanding and then painted it black with about 7 coats of Clear Lacquer on it. This this had a very high gloss to it. He took it to the meet in a sock because it would show up finger prints on it. There were about 5 classes of trophy. Unfortunately he did not win anything but came second in 4 categories. In the best finish he lost by a flip of a coin. He was gutted. I said that you should be proud of yourself. No one else who won were in 4 categories like you were and you still have a very stunning car.

I use to love going to these events when my boys were in Cub scouts.

• Like 1

My son won the city-wide KUBKAR races in 1989 when he was 11. We called his car “The Silver Bullet”. Most important thing I found was to get the axles and wheels aligned and turning extremely easily. 

E2E4DF4F-0906-49F8-8FE6-017EA2CF6D6C.jpeg.e2d16d9036e9ffbb2246036d2f0cd2d4.jpeg

0A8A9937-12CD-4132-922E-F2E6F9141E14.jpeg.ef5449c93d8cd31f5f7eb2cd69d71bf3.jpeg

• Like 2