New guy with questions

Stinger

Hello all, I am the proud new owner of a '51 5 window Pilothouse that was the recipient of a frame off restoration about 6 years ago.  The builder did a very nice job.  It looks almost completely stock from the outside and the interior, but has a Chevy 350 with turbo 400 3-speed automatic transmission, Mustang 2 front suspension, Ford 8 inch rear, custom exhaust, and air conditioning.  The interior needs a headliner and panels and floor mats.  I have already read most everything I could on this forum to complete that project and found the parts I need through the list of suppliers that you guys developed.  I had a couple of questions for the group however:

• Can someone provide me a schematic of the steering column?  The bushing at the end of the original column where it meets with the knuckle to mate with the updated steering, is worn.  I believe the bushing is an original piece, but need a picture or diagram to confirm, so I know what to order to fix the excess play.
  • Does anyone have a picture of the back side of the oil pressure gauge with the solid line attached?  I have developed a small leak in the cabin and from what I have read here, believe that it might be from the ferrule that goes into the gauge itself, but I can't tell if what I have is original or not.

Here is the obligatory new guy pic.

40.jpg

01.jpg

Welcome… Nice lookin’ truck.

I believe the steering column bushing you are referring to is something the builder added. the original column had a rigid shaft coming up out of the steering gear all the way to the steering wheel. The column sleeve has a bearing, or bushing, at the top to support the end at the wheel. I’m guessing the builder cut the shaft and column to work with the IFS steering gear, and added that bushing to support the bottom end. 

How can you tell it’s not a ‘51?  I went with what it is registered as, but I just checked the vehicle ID number (82100166), and Bunn’s book puts that as a ‘49.  I better be sure before I order the headliner.

Thanks for the picture of the oil pressure gauge.  That is the set up that I have.  Is the nut attached to the line itself, so that the whole line was meant to rotate when screwing it into the gauge itself?  That doesn’t make sense. How do you tighten the fitting?

Brad,  thanks for the picture of the steering column.  As you guys suspected, mine has been cut.  I will have to find the guy that did the lash up to the new suspension to see if he can fix the problem I have.

18 minutes ago, Stinger said:

How can you tell it’s not a ‘51?  I went with what it is registered as, but I just checked the vehicle ID number (82100166), and Bunn’s book puts that as a ‘49.  I better be sure before I order the headliner.

Thanks for the picture of the oil pressure gauge.  That is the set up that I have.  Is the nut attached to the line itself, so that the whole line was meant to rotate when screwing it into the gauge itself?  That doesn’t make sense. How do you tighten the fitting?

'51 has a different nose.

The nut on the oil line spins free of the hard line. Might just need some teflon tape ?

Here's some pic's of my old '49:

003 - Copy (2).JPG

007 - Copy (2).JPG

Edited by B1B Keven

10 minutes ago, Stinger said:

I had a difficult time finding a source for the nut and compression fitting for the oil gauge.  I ended buying this oil pressure gauge nut and compression fitting at McMaster Carr.  So far I haven't had any leaks from the oil gauge, so it seems to be working.

50815k106-@1x_637726695175887556.jpg.1c9ab7de4fc41ba97da923b282a66819.jpg

1 hour ago, Stinger said:

Yah, not a '51 (registration of year can always be..interesting), but a 48-50.  Nose, door crease, drip rail and door handle all say the earlier years of the B series.  

Thanks for all the information guys.  So, I have a '49 it appears.  Doesn't make a big difference to me and I'm not prepared to argue which looks better.  The previous owner just got back to me and said it was titled as a '51 when he got it.  The pictures of the truck before registration show a '51 front end on it.  See below.  What other pics do you guys need to tell for sure?

146.jpg

I should have started a couple different threads so all the conversations don't run into each other.  Sorry.  On the oil gauge, the nut that is on the backside of the gauge itself is not supposed to move - correct?  Is it possible for a leak to happen inside the gauge itself.  I say this because the bottom where the fittings connect was not wet when I pulled the gauge cluster.  There are two wires that go into the gauge, which I assume are for a light.  There is oil around those wires and that opening.  I ran the truck with the gauge out where I could see it and could not get it to leak.  It must be happening only when the truck is moving / vibrating.

Pic of my 1949.... er it is a 1950 titled as a 49. What they look like with the grill bars removed.

Having the E-brake on the floor, 49 was the last year. 1950 they were moved under the dash.

Just joking about the best looking truck, they are all great looking imho.

1018211644.jpg.8bd58db0367ebc92fec1e2baab1688af.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stinger said:

I should have started a couple different threads so all the conversations don't run into each other.  Sorry.  On the oil gauge, the nut that is on the backside of the gauge itself is not supposed to move - correct?  Is it possible for a leak to happen inside the gauge itself.  I say this because the bottom where the fittings connect was not wet when I pulled the gauge cluster.  There are two wires that go into the gauge, which I assume are for a light.  There is oil around those wires and that opening.  I ran the truck with the gauge out where I could see it and could not get it to leak.  It must be happening only when the truck is moving / vibrating.

The nut spins on the line but shouldn't move once tightened. Make sure it's tight and if it is I would suggest removing it and seeing if there is a split. Also is the line isolated from the engine by a rubber segment?

Young Ed - no the line connects to the block directly.  Remember I have a Chevy 350 in mine.  Still the solid line must be moving around with all the vibration.  Area around the spot where the sensor goes into the block is a little wet.

oil pressure sensor.jpg

4 hours ago, Stinger said:

Thanks for all the information guys.  So, I have a '49 it appears.  Doesn't make a big difference to me and I'm not prepared to argue which looks better.  The previous owner just got back to me and said it was titled as a '51 when he got it.  The pictures of the truck before registration show a '51 front end on it.  See below.  What other pics do you guys need to tell for sure?

146.jpg

That’s still a ‘48-‘50 front end, but without the grill bars. Often times vehicles were given a ‘model year’ to the year they were first registered. If it’s a late ‘49 it may have hit the car lot in early ‘50 and didn’t sell until ‘51, and so it got titled as a ‘51. My truck, a B-2-C was built in December of 1950 and it titled as a ‘51, but I call it a ‘50 as that’s what the body design is. I don’t know exactly when they made the switch to the B-3 series in 1951, but that’s when the grill, hood, doors, and dash changed. 

If you’re ordering interior panels you’ll want to use the ‘48-‘49 B-1, or ‘50 B-2 panels. I don’t believe the headliner would be different, but the door panels are. 

15 hours ago, Stinger said:

146.jpg

Still a B1 or B2 grill, just some oddly slapped on chrome/stainless.

Many trucks got titled as the year they were FIRST titled, so it coudl be a 50 that was first titled in 51....back in the day they weren't so worried about things as we (gov't) is now.  :)