Speaking In Mopar Tongues

keithb7

Recently I was reviewing my collection of old Mopar literature. I was pleasantly reminded of one of our members here. 

Andy is an active member and contributor here offering lots of free good advice. If you've read Any's posts you're recall his writing style.... Pauses with a row of dots.... Like this sort of......Used for effect maybe to slow you down....Think about about what he just said.......

Look at this 1938 dealer brochure below. This is exactly what they are doing.  Clearly Andy is a die-hard Mopar fan. He's been reading many old Mopar publications for decades. It has had an impact! lol.

No foul meant @Andydodge. I enjoy your posts. Just thought about you when I saw this ad! I like the connection. ?

Cheers Mate!  - Keith

IMG_3889.jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 4

I wonder if it was a time period thing or a brand thing?  The other thing I notice  with the printed material from the late 30's was that the illustrators used a lot of artist license to make the cars longer wider and lower than the actual cars on the streets.  They all seemed to be leaning forward, racing along,  putting the past behind. 

Edited by greg g

The lowering look seems to make them appear sleeker. Faster. Sexy. My ‘38 brochure is all artist drawings. No photos. All sit lower than stock. Later when they used actual photography I hear that they loaded up the cars with sandbags. Trunk, engine compartment. Cab. Anywhere to drop it down for the lowered look. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keithb7 said:

If you've read Any's posts you're recall his writing style.... Pauses with a row of dots.... Like this sort of......Used for effect maybe to slow you down....Think about about what he just said.......

I use them to show my southern drawl coming out  :P

Keith.........I appreciate the good words..........I use the dots as my poor index finger needs a rest after a few wacks on the keyboard.......lol..........but seriously tho' its generally to give me a chance to think what I next want to say...........or maybe not........lol.........re Gregs mention of artistic licence, I've attached a pic from an Oz Sales Brochure showing a D15 Deluxe same as mine.........its not artistic licence, lol........my cars just like that........will go sit in my corner now........regards from Oz...........andyd  

img004 (14).jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2023 at 12:24 PM, keithb7 said:

The lowering look seems to make them appear sleeker. Faster. Sexy. My ‘38 brochure is all artist drawings. No photos. All sit lower than stock. Later when they used actual photography I hear that they loaded up the cars with sandbags. Trunk, engine compartment. Cab. Anywhere to drop it down for the lowered look. 

If you want an interesting read check out boulevard photographic. Talks about all the tricks they did to make the cars look good in the pre Photoshop film age 

I have several original full-page magazine advertisements for the 46-48 Dodge cars.  They're all artist renderings and still have those artistic license cues to make D24s look sleeker than they actually are.  Most seem to be stretching the front end out a bit.  "SMOOTHEST CAR "AFLOAT""

and with the stock suspension with upper and lower a-arms tied with the shock....the term afloat is most accurate   Last fall I untied the a-arms and relocated the shock and truly put the ride in another class as the float feeling is no longer there....just smooth solid tracking.  

but yeah, artist renditions definitely shows the liberties they were extended....today would get a class action suit on their hands...