Early Drives in April

38DeSoto

Enjoying 25 degree celsius weather today in Ontario, Canada!  Earliest ever spring drive ever for dad's super rare, Canadian built, 38 DeSoto Rumble Seat Coupe in 53 years of ownership!  Car is ready to go to the National DeSoto Convention this year in Chatham in July.  Who else has been able to get out and enjoy their vintage rides?

IMG_2282.jpg

• Like 6

A ‘38 Desoto coupe built in Canada! It is super rare! I’d be interested to learn how many they actually made. I’ll guess under 50 in Canada that year. The previous owner of my ‘38 Canadian built Chrysler coupe told me that only 40 were made. I can’t seem to find a way to verify that. 

I know of a ‘37 Desoto coupe laying to waste in a garage. Here in my town. I kinda want it. To save it. The owner is quite fragile and older. I wonder if it was made in Canada? Possibly. 

I too have had ‘38 out a few times already.  

1E74FC89-2C73-4297-A979-C43154D06758.jpeg.d51499012617b1430ed8572486a94609.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

My Dad has a letter from Chrysler Corporation from August 10, 1976 stating that only 11 were produced in Canada out of a total production of 38.  Also, 1938 was the last year DeSoto produced the Rumble Seat Coupe.  Dad's car is body#11, making it the very last DeSoto Rumble Seat Coupe ever produced in Canada. An extremely rare and special car indeed in my opinion. 

• Like 2

That’s fantastic @38DeSoto 11 in Canada, meaning 27 only were built in the USA? Totalling 38.

Looking in my Chrysler Catalog it does show total production for 2 door, 3 passenger coupe with rumble seat at 38 qty total.  It seems to be consistent with your Dad’s letter. That’s awesome. Have you or your Dad found another one, the same as his Canadian ‘38 R/S coupe? There cannot be many left. 

Your info gives me a little more confidence in my Canadian Chrysler production at 40. Thank you for that. 

Edited by keithb7

I’ve been able to drive my cars recently. I took both my cars to fill the gas tanks with premium fuel, and go for an Easter Day ride. Today it looks like it may have to wait a few days to drive again. 

428167D1-60A0-4633-B826-17E594525AD4.jpeg

95537137-FC2F-4743-94BF-0EA1DF6E9FBB.jpeg

E463357E-586D-4B5D-8FBB-40CEA38FC4AB.jpeg

• Like 4

Yes, Keith you are correct according to the letter.  Canadian production numbers are impossible to find now, so for Dad to have gotten this information in 1976 was incredibly lucky.  Even in the letter Dad received, Chrysler Corporation thought that the Canadian production number was cars built in US, but sold in Canada; but, by serial# and vehicle manufacturing plate on Dad's car it proves that they where indeed Canadian built.  We have only ever seen 1 other verified US built DeSoto RS Coupe (it was red), but the gentleman passed away and we have lost contact as to where it is now.   An internet search also brings up a green one - maybe the red one we once knew of but since restored??  I do believe that a production of only 40 for your Canadian built Chrysler Royal Coupes is very much in the realm of possibility as well. 

IMG_0621.JPG

4/3 was storage removal day. It was postponed from 4/1 due to snow. Drove the 64 wagon, 46 pickup, 51 convert, and 55 new Yorker home without much issue. The 55 did need a couple jump starts. The 51 spare key we left with the storage didn't actually work so we had to go home for a real key. 

Just finished putting a freshly restored radiator in our D24 this week, can't wait to get it out and about, but have to wait now for the mud to subside a bit (as some of you know, "mud season" is an actual thing in these parts).  Not so much actual mud, but the ground is so squishy soft you can barely walk on it, and we have open ground from our shop to our drive.  BUT, I did dust off the ol' Beetle and went bombing around town in it.  Aside from the couple extra cranks needed to get it started, it ran like I just parked it a couple days ago, rather than sitting in the corner for six months.

After a week of going through my check list for my 52 Cranbrook, which included replacing the right rear wheel cyl.($85 ouch)!!! Was able to take it out for a drive last evening. Exciting to begin another summer of car shows and cruises.

I had my '39 Plymouth out the past two days. Drove a total of about 80 miles to shake it down. Car started and drove like it was parked last week. We're in Vermont and I have to wait until the snow pile in front of the garage door melted. Today I'll drive it about 3 hours through the Green Mountains to a car club meeting and back. Gotta love it!

Pete

Earliest I have this car out and after driving it to work this past weekend I thought I would go down and do some doughnuts on the ice 

670629E3-1A0B-433D-9A4C-5854848265D5.jpeg

• Like 1