efi for our vechicles?

DJ194950

That is very interesting, and not as expensive as I'd figured. Many years ago I had an 87 Dakota; they were carbureted that year and mine gave me constant trouble. At some point in the 90s Holley had came out with a one-size-fits-all EFI unit. I thought a bit of doing an upgrade but it was at least twice this price, so I didn't go for it. It would be interesting to read some user reviews.

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to look into that at some point. Glad you found it. I figured between Holley or FiTech, one of them would have something suitable. Can probably run an external pump with existing tank or modify it for an internal. I guess those are the two options anyways so might be Captain Obvious here. 

It was the only 1 BBL setup I have seen.

Seems almost everyone in the FI business make a two BBL setup.

One co., I forget which- sells a canister that has the electric fuel pump,  pressure regulator all in one that also eliminates the need for a return fuel line to the vehicle fuel tank.

I think it was either the FI Tech company or Fast Fuel Injection company.  It also was not cheap but eliminates some other work and expense.

Would love fro someone that could afford time and $ to give this a go!

DJ

This is very cool but will require a few modifications to fit the oxygen sensor  plus 12 volts. Sadly not in scope for my fluid drive. Is there any kind of carb replacement//upgrade for the old B&Bs?

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2023 at 4:41 PM, wagoneer said:

…Sadly not in scope for my fluid drive. Is there any kind of carb replacement//upgrade for the old B&Bs?

I didn’t think about my Fluid Drive.  Will the EFI system not work with a Fluid Drive because of lacking the dashpot?  I wonder if there’s any chance of “tuning” it to provide the same functionality.   

EFI?  Dual Weber TBI bodies, MIcrosquirt controller.  Same setup can be done for a single throttle body.  The controller can be setup to mimic the fluid drive switching as well.

WHrj1hMupjhcETEtQWKGollaGGFErSKQOsY62qP6

Edited by Sniper
  • Like 2

That's a real pretty setup of carbs @Sniper . @Neira I figure we could forgo the semi-automatic capability and install those push button upshift/downshift that wire to the same points that the carb uses. I have one connected to the end of my turn signal stalk (there's a manual somewhere here on the site), but I would love to learn a bit more about how the controller can be used to mimic the fluid drive BB1 carb controls.  

I think the point is missed slightly with "fluid drive", I don't remember when fluid drive became an automatic, but the earlier ones front a regular manual transmission and require a retarded throttle return / dashpot so the engine doesn't return to idle too quickly and kill the car when operating it without using the clutch.  When I read fluid drive, I'm thinking what our D24 has, a fluid coupling between the engine and transmission, not a transmission.  There are no solenoids, switches, etc. in the earlier fluid drives.  Not the Dodges, anyway.  I imagine EFI can be tuned (if "tuneable") to accommodate that, but it would have to be engineered to do so in the first place(?)