Radiator cap

BobDeSoto

23 minutes ago, rallyace said:

The system is not pressurized so use a vented, non pressure cap. NAPA should have one.

Not true on my 51 Plymouth, he has a 51 Desoto.  I want to say mine used a 7lb cap but I am not 100% sure on that.

Looks like a 4lbs, 4th column is a Desoto 6, first column is Plymouth and it is a 7

rad cap.JPG

Edited by Sniper

According to myy Atlas catlaog here is the proper cap for your desoto Find your model year and the last column on the right is rad caps  So for 1951 Desoto the proper cap is an R-8 cap.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

image.png.db63e79f0d63a7ecfa10763a41a063ba.png

Here is a way that for most people to get the information they need. i alwasy do a search on Ebay for an item so look under Desoto 1951 radiator cap. If a listing comes up then open the item to get more info. sometime the seller even puts the supporting documentation online.

This is a great way to build up your own personal library about your car.

Rich Hartung

22 hours ago, BobDeSoto said:

So, is a 4# cap a good compromise between vented and pressurized?

No, it is not a good compromise.  It is what is called the correct part per the factory parts manual, see the listing in my last post.

My 52 Coronet calls for a 4# cap. When I ordered a new one from Bernbaums they sent a 7# cap. When I questioned them they said that was correct. I’ve not had any issues with it but I do have an aluminum radiator. Not sure if that helps or not. I would check the parts book and see what is specified for your car.