Starters

Labrauer
Go to solution Solved by Labrauer,

Where can I find a 12 volt starter for my 48 Plymouth 230 engine

The car has been converted from 6 volt to 12 volt 

Do you think this would fit into the current starter Plymouth 230 flathead motor if so I'll get it. I have been running a 6 volt one for years but yesterday it gave up the ghost and was dragging until it quit all together 

Doug and Deb are you kidding me here we had a few years ago but they have all gone out of business. Just like all the radiator shops there ain't no more around here and the last one around here said they wouldn't work on the old cone type of radiator that's why I had to buy a new one for the old car. 

3 hours ago, Labrauer said:

Do you think this would fit into the current starter Plymouth 230 flathead motor if so I'll get it. I have been running a 6 volt one for years but yesterday it gave up the ghost and was dragging until it quit all together 

Call and ask if it will fit

I rebuilt my starter. It needed 4 brushes and I have to turn down the commutator. That was 3 years ago and it still is working fine. Turning the Comm, any machine shop can do this. The biggest problem is the armature. Is it shot, have you had a look at the brushes and comm? This is where I would start.

SteveR no I haven't looked at any of these yet I guess that's a good idea before I  order a new starter thanks man I really never thought of that 

• Like 1

The comm should be copper color and not grooved. Mine was grooved and that is why I had to turn it down. If it is black that is carbon and acts like an insulator. Simply cleaning it with brasso or wire wool is all that is needed. Brushes can be found on ebay. It's not a difficult. Good Luck and keep us informed.

12 hours ago, LazyK said:

The 1958 Plymouth had the 230 as an available engine and should have been a 12 volt system. 

12v started during the 56 model year.  I am using a 56 plymouth engine and its starter in my truck.  But I think the starter drive and flywheel have to match, early flywheels have a different tooth count.  Sorry, don't remember the details but it may be possible to change just the drive.

From what I recall you need a 56 only starter. Otherwise you would need to use a 57-60? starter and matching flywheel or have a 56 gear put in the later starter. 

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

Problem solved just had the starter done in 12 volts with new gears and all. Starts like a dream in the mornings. Found a man that worked for a starter and alternator rebuilding shop that closed down a couple of years ago. This man worked there 24+ years and when they closed the doors he bought all their equipment and opened a little shop at his home. Took the starter in on a Monday morning and picked it up two days later Wednesday around noon. The cost $207.00 parts, labor and all. Looked like a brand new one just bought out of a box.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1