Border worries

DonaldSmith

A few years ago, crossing the border from the U.S.A to Canada was fraught, fraught with worries.  What if I test positive for the virus, and have to be sequestered in a hotel for two weeks, with meals dropped off by the door?  No problem now.  What about all the labeling of my prescription drugs and supplements?  Seemed draconian.  But they never asked, the few times that I have crossed.  

Now I can fret over going to the National DeSoto Club Convention in Chatham, Ontario, toward the end of July.  I already checked with the car insurance lady that, yes, we are covered in other states and provinces.  I told her that she may be getting frantic calls as the convention date approaches; I prefer to get my frantic calls out of the way early. 

My next big worry is having my car flat-bedded home, as sometimes happens, but this time across an international border.  The convention organizers will be asking around, to see how this would work.  But maybe someone on the forum can relate their experiences in this regard.        

I have driven across the USA border back and forth many times a year for the past 40 years. Don’t try to hide something illegal. Don’t lie about any questions they ask you. If you’re straight and clean you have nothing to worry about. If they want to search your let. Let them. Sit back and watch them go at it. They’ll find nothing anyway. 

Once in a while you get a mall cop who got a promotion to a border agent job. They are generally miserable at work. Seem to have a chip on their shoulder. Asking stupid condescending questions. Just smile and answer them.  They can be ignorant. Don’t stoop to their level.  Don’t be a smart alec or try to make a joke. Simply answer their questions as brief as possible. 

Leave your firearm at home. Don’t try to bring any food north. No fireworks. No booze. No carton of smokes or cigars. That kinda stuff they frown upon. If you have prescription drugs you’ll be fine. 

Enjoy your trip to Canada. You’ll be fine here. Fill up your fuel tank in the USA right before you enter Canada.  When you get back to the border, to re-enter USA show up running on fumes. Fill up as soon as you get back into the USA. You’ll save likely at least $50.  You’ll need a passport. Do you have one?

• Like 1

Thanks, keithb7.   We Michiganders have enhanced licenses which are good at the border.  Ohio licenses will get you on a plane but not across the border.  Our Ohio daughter and her family are getting their passports.

Our son tells the story of a group of guys crossing the border. A smart-ass in the back asked for a hamburger and milk shake.  The border guys thoroughly searched the car and everyone/everything in it.   Some time later the guys crossed the border at the same station.  The same agent asked, "Where's the smart-ass?"  They answered,  "In the trunk."  The agent opened the trunk, and the smart-ass meekly squeaked, "Hi."  

I'm sure that Plymouthy Adams is correct about the legalities of the car itself.  I guess I'm more concerned with the cost and the arrangements for getting someone to haul it.  Pay to play, I guess.  I expect the convention people will look into it, in case any of our old cars give up a ghost. 

Last time we crossed was the POC  meet in Detroit in 2018.  Only trouble we had was the lines going back into the Buffalo crossing.   Temp was in the high 80s, lines were long, we were traveling with other folks in another car.  We got into line behind a beat up pick up with Texas plates occupied by three young guys.  They questioned them for 20 minutes, then three officers appeared, took them out of the truck.  They left the truck empty in the gate for about 30 minutes.  Another officer showed up finally got in and drove off. We pulled up the officer asked us where we had been if we bought any thing.  We showed our passports which he took and returned, then waved us through. We finally caught up with our friends pulled over about a half mile up the road.  Gas gauge was on empty, and temp said 220.  Temp went down once we got on the road, got gas at the first opportunity.  That was the last time we crossed.

As we have noted, the US P15 PICNIC will be in ?? Canada, this Sept, we are hoping everyone coming knows and has the documents necessary for crossing and recrossing the border.

Edited by greg g

If you have to flatbed your car home, the tow truck driver has to have the credentials to take his rig (and himself) into the U.S. and Canada.  You will not have to worry about that, other than hiring an outfit that can conduct cross border business.  Either hire one out of Ontario, or the better option may be to hire one out of Michigan.  Either would have to make that round trip.

Snarky comments aside, the Detroit area Ports of Entry (all of Michigan) are used to that sort of transport across the border.  They'll ask questions and maybe search (it is a "border search", the mere fact that you're at the border seeking entry gives them authority to search.  Being a smart-ass gives them an excuse to break up the boredom).  And please don't call the blue guys at the Ports "agents", they are CBP Officers.  It's not an insult to the officers, but it is to the actual agents, the green guys in the Border Patrol - I was a Border Patrol Agent for 32 years.  They're all good people with an important mission, but yes, there are a few that intend to save the U.S. from you.  (I double dare you to call them "Booth Monkeys", though, that'll get you a body cavity search for sure ?...)

When we lived in Port Huron, we would transit Canada between Sarnia and Niagara Falls on a regular basis to cut a good three hours off our journeys to NJ, then when we lived outside of Buffalo, we would do that to visit family that stayed in Port Huron.  Even now it should cut a good bit of time from trips back to Port Huron.  Getting into Canada was never a problem, getting back into the U.S. wasn't technically an issue other than how long we had to wait in line, which gradually got worse.  After a while it got to the point it was quicker to stay in the U.S.  I can't imagine it's gotten any better.  That new Gordie Howe bridge is supposed to improve things, but it's a long way from done and I understand its construction has mucked up access to the Ambassador Bridge.  I'll recommend taking either the Marine City or Algonac ferry back and forth (if you don't have to return on a flatbed, neither handle trucks).  A little more back-road driving and better scenery, but much quicker than the tunnel or bridges.

Also, depending on where you are in Michigan, there is a ferry between Marblehead, OH and Leamington, ON.  I've never taken that one, but I've been on both sides of Lake Erie in that area, and it's quite scenic.  There's one from Marblehead to Pelee Island, ON, too.  Quite a few good vineyards on Pelee Island.

Edited by Dan Hiebert

The only time I every heard about anybody ever having real trouble was a friends with a super common name like Donald Clark. He was fine getting into Canada but upon the return they ran his name and it came back on the terrorist list. He and his elderly wife were separated and he ended up spending 3 days in super max confinement before he was sent to guantanamo bay were he contracted Covid. It took a Congressman 14 weeks to get it all straightened out. They returned him to Boston where he got on the MTA and was never seen again. They say he is still on it. You should be fine as your name is nothing like Donald Clark. 

They scan your passport. They know when you crossed, where you crossed and can find out what it was you crossed in. I attended the P15 Picnic in Vermont in 2019. We broke down. I had to call home and have Dad rescue us. We trailered the car home. No issue for Dad crossing into N.Y. State with an empty trailer. A  quick explanation at the border crossing back into Canada and we were on our way. 

Hopefully you enjoy the time in Chatham. As Greg posted the P15 Picnic is in the Niagara region of Ontario this year. I'm the area host and will also be at the DeSoto convention in Chatham. Look me up and say hi.

Lee Fair

photo-sep-17-3-57-41-pm_orig.jpg

Edited by rockingjd
  • Like 1

I live in Lethbridge, Alberta, about 60 miles from the US border. Never had trouble going either way. If you have appropriate ID should not be a problem. I personally always use a passport because they just scan it and it’s so easy. Most custom agents are more interested in your antique car than you.