Victory lap

Tired iron

After being perched on the lift all winter, I've been waiting for the snow in front of my shop to melt enough to get my 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook out for a short cruise yesterday. It was the first time she's moved under her own power in forty-some years.

And those forty-some years were really hard on her. She sat outside in a little village in the N Cascade mtns called Stehekin that is accessible only by boat and has only about one mile of road.  The incredible snows caved in the roof and rotted and rusted out the interior.  The plus side of that slumber and location is the motor only has 35k miles (where do you go with only 2 miles of road?)

I un-stuck 5 valves and now the motor purrs (45 lbs oil pressure at idle). Rebuilt the transmission, added an overdrive, did a fluid-drive delete, installed a two-circuit brake master and all new brakes and nicop lines, new ebrake and cable, wheel bearing and seals, 12 V alternator, and electric fuel pump.

Gutted the interior and put in a new headliner and door cards. Next up is new upholstery on the seats.

20230329_120749.jpg.eb26c118523823c8391826906e60603a.jpg

20230329_120634.jpg.4fe2611327abfd304b4885f0815c375e.jpg

20230228_142907.jpg.97d6c77b5580038815995314faf01f82.jpg

Edited by Tired iron
  • Like 12

Well, I happen to know the story.

The Buckner family homesteaded up at the head of this 60 mile long lake called lake chelan. Buckner mtn is named after them. One of the boys grew up and stayed on the land. He got himself a mail order bride in the late forties from Oklahoma named Lena. He arranged to buy her a new car (now my car) and she drove it all the way across the country by herself here to chelan to begin her new life up at the Buckner homestead. The car was brought up on a barge. Both Lena and the car lived their whole lives up there.

I bought the car for 200 bucks, sight unseen, and it came back down on the barge to me.

I named the car Lena, of course.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 4/1/2023 at 2:12 AM, Tired iron said:

I named the car Lena, of course.

I come from Minnesota and we have Sven, Ole and Lena jokes

Sven, Ole and Lena were walking in the big north woods and got themselves lost. Soon the temperature started to drop and it started snowing. Not being able to find their way back home and getting hungry, Sven starts digging in the snow for something to eat. Suddenly he comes across a lamp. While brushing the snow off of it a Gene come out and says, "I am the Gene of the lamp. I will grant you one wish". Sven quickly says, " I vish I vas back on the farm vhere its nice and Varm". POOF, and Sven is gone. Before the lamp hits the ground Lena grabs the lamp and says, "I vish I vas Vith Sven"! Poof, and Lena vanishes just like Sven. Poor Ole is by himself and feeling a bit forlorn. He starts kicking at the snow and the Gene says, "What is your wish"? Ole says, "I'm very lonely here, I vish Sven and Lena vere here vith me"!

Edited by SteveR
  • Like 1