Finally Installed Rusty Hope's Front Shock Mounts!

Bob Riding
Go to solution Solved by Sniper,

I had my buddy Ryan who owns Ballis Welding in Fresno, work on my stalled '52 Suburban project yesterday. It took us about 4 hours to relocate and install Rusty Hope's front shock setup, where the top shock mount is attached to the frame, not the upper A-arm.

Everything went pretty smoothly- we had to do some minor alterations like drilling out the lower eyelet bushings from 1/2" to 5/8", and tack weld - check clearances - cycle suspension up and down, then cut out tacks and reposition. Since Rusty says to find the center of travel on the shock and the motor was out, (not at the normal ride height), we set the wagon on front jack stands and used the heavy front bucket on my tractor to artificially move the front end up and down. That worked great!  It seemed to me that it would be so much easier to do the work with the motor out and the front clip off. Although his instructions were very good, it wasn't clear to me exactly what issues would come up until we got into it. Depending on the angle we positioned the mount, the side of the shock would bind up at certain ride heights. We were able to make certain that wouldn't happen by using the tractor bucket.

You can see the finished system in the short video.

Pretty fun stuff!

IMG_5441.jpeg

• Like 1