Can this transmission be saved?

DC_Maidens

I removed my transmission and things didn't look great from the start. The lever didn't move, the transmission was caked in mud, and the top of the transmission was rusty. Everything on the outside came off really easy (bonus), then I got to the inside. Everything is rusty and a pile of dirt came out (yikes). I am having a heck of a time getting the thrust washers and counter shaft gear out. 

After all that I noticed something on the casing ?; a long crack. Is this something I can weld or is the casing trash?

Is it even worth my time and money to restore it?

Can I even sell it?

Also, on the bellhousing there are three mesh screens, does anyone have a source for these?

IMG_20230325_163502.jpg

IMG_20230325_163511.jpg

IMG_20230325_163533.jpg

IMG_20230325_163538.jpg

No it's too rusty...all the parts will need to be replaced because of pitting including the mainshaft.

Find another one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Semmerling said:

Transmission number from the casting will tell us how rare the internals might get to be.
Left side....right side.....topside.....bottom.....inside pics.

Looks like it filled with water and then froze. 

I am thinking it filled up with water too. I can get the numbers this evening and post them.

12 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

No it's too rusty...all the parts will need to be replaced because of pitting including the mainshaft.

Find another one.

I am thinking it's scrap too ?

11 hours ago, DC_Maidens said:

Also, on the bellhousing there are three mesh screens, does anyone have a source for these?

One of those things I've been needing to look for. I have one.

John

• Like 1

I had one that was about as bad from being partially full of water. the water really takes its toll on critical surfaces.  Smalls and gaskets are fairly easy to get but It was a LOT of work to source  correct gears and there was no one-stop shopping. I got lucky.

• Like 1

You can theoretically clean everything up and get it going again, but once any of the mated surfaces (gears, bearings, bearing races, etc.) become marred by rust, they will deteriorate much quicker, and be really noisy.  Even if not pitted, the discolored spots metallurgic structures (probably not the right term) have changed, and they'll wear differently.  I would echo that it is not worth restoring.  It would be far easier and probably less expensive to find a good replacement unit.

• Like 2

Find another one. These three speeds were used in a ton of mopars with the flat head 6, so its a matter of finding a similar vintage unit with the same overall length. Maybe someone can give you a hollander interchange. I'd save the old one until you are sure no external parts are needed to swap on to the replacement. Stuff like shift arms, emergency brake etc.

• Like 1

One thing to consider - the later model standard trannies had the option of installing a backup switch in the transmission.  I'm not sure now when they started that, but I know the 53's had it already.  The P15 tranmissions appear to have a boss there in the correct location, but I don't know if there is something different on the inside.  (I've asked here, but haven't ever received an answer.)

Edited by Eneto-55
additional comment
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 11:13 PM, D35 Torpedo said:

Poor thing...I'd clean it up to see what you're working with. It might be ok with a couple new hard parts. Bearings at minimum. Atf and a wire brush will get the rust off fast. 

Love the optimism! A coupe new parts, bearings at a minimum, atf and a wire brush! And.....it's over.

Unfortunately, it was the transmission, now it is a mooring anchor.

A rare transmission can take 2 years to source everything for a complete rebuild. 

You are luck as your's is not rare, do not waste any time on it and start over.

You will have something worth the time, effort and $$$$. 
Why ruin a perfectly good wire brush?

20230207_155132.jpg

Edited by Semmerling
  • Like 2