U joint conversion

jgreg53

here is a list of the required parts any auto parts store should be able to get the parts.

Not my list  Credit to the member listed at the bottom

1254345013_Drivelineconversionparts.jpg.699a1331efa361e5224bd63b62879659.jpg

Edited by LazyK

40 minutes ago, jgreg53 said:

Where can I find the parts to convert my b&t joints to the modern Spicer joints?

Here is some info I pulled together in 2019:

https://p15-d24.com/topic/50484-servicing-u-joints/?tab=comments#comment-535812

I had a local truck driveline shop build a new balanced driveshaft with Spicer U-joints. It cost me about $300 a couple of years ago. it took them two days to build it using my old trunion style driveshaft as a template. In my humble opinion it was well worth the cost.

I spoke to Bill north at north manufacturing.  He's telling me 500 for a new shaft. I also spoke with him about drive line vibration.  Turns out I needed more weight than hose clamps alone.so I added some weights to the clamps. Much better now.

I've lubed the u-joints on the driveshaft on my P15, they work fine and the shaft runs smoothly. But I've had to replace a couple of the ball and trunnion boots which have consequently split due to the sorry quality of the aftermarket boots sold by our vendors who should know better. Yes, modern u-joints would solve the boot problem but I hate to spend large $$$'s on a new driveshaft and retire a perfectly good original driveshaft. 

I would love to have a pair of leather boots but have been unable to source any. I recall from the past few years some modern or universal alternatives but have forgotten the details. Anyone have up-to-date info on boots that will work with our old driveshafts?

Found the leather boots by searching "Mopar P15 parts".  At Moparpro.  39 dollars plus shipping.  The next time the P15 drive shaft needs attention I'll probably have a new one built and then not have to worry about that again.  But when I see the price I may opt for the leather covers.  I used the repop rubber covers when I rebuilt the original joints and they started cracking within weeks.  

On 3/29/2023 at 12:58 PM, Sam Buchanan said:

I've lubed the u-joints on the driveshaft on my P15, they work fine and the shaft runs smoothly. But I've had to replace a couple of the ball and trunnion boots which have consequently split due to the sorry quality of the aftermarket boots sold by our vendors who should know better. Yes, modern u-joints would solve the boot problem but I hate to spend large $$$'s on a new driveshaft and retire a perfectly good original driveshaft. 

I would love to have a pair of leather boots but have been unable to source any. I recall from the past few years some modern or universal alternatives but have forgotten the details. Anyone have up-to-date info on boots that will work with our old driveshafts?

I bought a pair of modern generic CV joint boots that I was able to use on my P15 joints. It's only been one season so I can't 100% say they are the solution but they sure seemed up to the task. 

On 3/30/2023 at 10:59 AM, Sam Buchanan said:

Thanks! I had looked for those a couple years ago and didn't find them. I ordered a pair, will report back when I see how they fit.

$_57.JPG?set_id=8800005007

I started a new thread about installing the leather boots.

https://p15-d24.com/topic/59682-installing-leather-u-joint-boots/

image.jpeg.d8f72387d06750e660f1ad15265c0447.jpeg