Tailgate chain length - too long?

I just purchased tailgate chains for my 47 WC.  I didn't have any on the truck when I bought it so I have nothing to compare them to.  I also have a 54 Chevy truck. On the 54, when I open the tailgate the chains are the perfect length so when I connect them to the tailgate it holds it perfectly level with the bed.  My new chains for the 47 are long and allow the tailgate to open fully hanging all the way down point toward the ground.   I plan shorten the chain to support the tailgate but was wondering if the original came the correct length or the chains I bought were just a generic length to fit multiple models of truck.

Holding it level with the bed would be correct.

A good example would be my truck has a low side bed, the tail gate is shorter and uses a shorter chain.

My utility trailer has a normal bed and needs a longer chain for the taller tail gate.

Sure it is easier to supply a generic length chain that would fit all.