Going down the babbitt hole

Hickory

So the plan is to drill and pin the cracks. The machine shop just finished that up and I'm picking up the block tomorrow. Pictures will be posted tomorrow.

Not a good place for a crack.  Not sure how you can pin a crack like that though, but I am not a machinist, just interested in knowing how it's done when the crack has a 90 into the port like that?

The nation's Capitol used pinning to repair the cast iron dome. 

How could a bolt possibly hold two pieces together, you may ask.  I wondered myself.  The secret is in the threads. 

Most threads have the same slope on both surfaces.  Drill and tap a hole on the joint between two pieces, and screw in the bolt. the pieces can pull apart.

Imagine a Christmas tree, with all the branches sloping up.  The threads of these bolts slope "up".  They can't pull out of the surrounding material.    I can't imagine that this would be as strong as the un-cracked material it self, but it

is good enough for the Capitol. 

(Spelling lesson from Fr. Flanigan's spelling drill, way back in the Second Grade: 

The building: CAPITOL.  The city: CAPITAL.)  

I like "LOCK-N-STITCH" .http://www.locknstitch.com/index.html

Expensive but always will do the job 100% by a competent person. 

I had a 413 MaxWedge job..the block was cracked down both sides

I had to save all casting ribs and raised letters/numbers matching #'s car and engine. Grind down and hide the repaired areas.

L&S uses a reverse thread design and special thread tooling that pulls the crack tightly together.

Most any accessable areas can be pinned.

Older systems used tapered threaded pins...these could slightly expand and stress the repaired crack if not done right.

Screenshot_20230608-085515_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230608-085347_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230608-085458_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230608-085332_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230608-085248_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Sniper I have no doubt you know how pinning is done, that's what I like about you. Your attention to detail.  But for other members I have explained what pinning is.

• Like 1

I just received my block will get pics soon. Sniper they did horizontal first then used smaller ones on the vertical and went into the other pins so it is actually a stronger repair since the pins interlock two different ways

• Like 1

Not much time left to play with things. I must send out the thrust bearing now it is bored to have the radius cut and the thrust width ground. While that takes place painting will commence and then camshaft installation.

So looking at my block I did some research on the date. My block was built three weeks prior to black Tuesday and the stock market crash of the great depression. I find it amazing that a company (DeSoto) not only survived, (as a new division) but thrived.