Timing Gear Marks

Al-P8
Go to solution Solved by DJK,

Hi Folks! New to the forum although I have searched and read countless Threads here! Thanks a bunch for sharing so much knowledge and experience. Has helped me soo many times.

The question I have relates to timing gear marks and their position. I have the original motor out of my 1939 P8 Deluxe on the bench up here in Canada. Has some leaking seals etc so pulled the timing chain cover off. Needs a new chain so purchased new gears and chain for it. Upon close inspection, my engine has the dots on the gears out 180 degrees. Yes, I have confirmed it is in firing position for #1 cylinder by checking the lifters as I turn the engine over by hand and the distributor is pointing to #1 wire. The engine ran fine before I removed it. I am just wondering if this is a common issue as I am under the impression from my manual that they should line up across from each other near the crank? Any assistance would sure be appreciated!

Al

When you have the marks properly aligned where does the distributor point and are the crank and valves properly timed?. If I recall correctly, the distributor location is a function of how the oil pump is installed. It sounds to me like the oil pump and distributor need to be retimed.

• Like 1

#6 will be firing at TDC ( both valves fully closed) when the timing dots are aligned directly opposing each other.

NOT #1 cylinder.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick responses all. I was out of town yesterday and just back in the shop this morning.

Rallyace, my distributor point at #6 (1 oclock) when marks are aligned and # 6 is in firing position according to the valve train.

D32 Torpedo, thanks! And yes, I hope to solve this and set it up right.

Dodgeb4ya, that,s exactly what I thought. When the marks are apart 180 degrees #6 should be in firing position. I have turned it over many many time now looking at this and the valve train says #1 is ready to fire when marks out 180 degrees and # 6 is just about to open the intake valve.

This really makes my head hurt...

Is it possible that the Canadian engine has different gear markings compared to it's US cousins? I have looked at several pictures here on the forum and the Cam Key / Bolts and Timing Mark are exactly the same. The gear looks original to me, Number D0 6793  Number on end of cam is 601758. I have attached a couple pictures. the valves on #1 are closed and is finished the compression stroke ready to fire.

Sorry if I am being a pain or overlooking something obvious. I have been looking and pondering this issue for about a week before I posted. ?.563791876_image1350.jpeg.462996b74b466e9bd2805ad9085b7789.jpeg1769258399_image0353.jpeg.cf35e848cc52816c0957d4bb5120faa9.jpeg

Oh for goodness sake! Thanks a bunch DJK! I am going out to the garage to re-read my manual as I completely missed the #6 TDC when marks aligned.

I feel like a dummy but I am so happy I can also start moving forward again. Thanks again!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Al-P8 said:

Oh for goodness sake! Thanks a bunch DJK! I am going out to the garage to re-read my manual as I completely missed the #6 TDC when marks aligned.

I feel like a dummy but I am so happy I can also start moving forward again. Thanks again!

We've all been there!!!!!

I'd be interested to know why they designed the installation to #6 TDC instead of #1 TDC as most engines do.

My guesses are something to do with the assembly line process or because #6 is where the plug in the head is for locating TDC. Neither make that much sense to me.

It's hurting my head too.  From reading the manual paragraph associated with this picture ( Figure 25) it says "Continue  rotating the crankshaft until the No. 6 intake valve tappet just contacts the valve stem.  This tells me that no.6 piston is at TDC but at the end of the exhaust and beginning of the intake stroke.  This same crank and camshaft position would be TDC for the no.1 piston at the end of the compression and beginning of the power stroke and when the no.1 spark plug should "fire". Bottom line, with the timing marks aligned as in fig. 25 both no. 6 and no.1 pistons are at TDC but no. 1 is at top of compression stroke and ready for spark and no.6 is at the start of the intake stroke.  Regardless of how the oil pump and distributor is installed the rotor should point to the dist. cap tower that goes to the no.1 spark plug.

On 3/28/2023 at 7:26 AM, DJK said:

I am technologically challenged, it shows up on my pc. Please explain to me again how to correctly do this. Thanks Sniper.

Sorry, I was out all week in Houston.  I just got back but it looks like you figured it out.

Edited by Sniper

On 3/30/2023 at 8:29 AM, vintage6t said:

I'd be interested to know why they designed the installation to #6 TDC instead of #1 TDC as most engines do.

My guesses are something to do with the assembly line process or because #6 is where the plug in the head is for locating TDC. Neither make that much sense to me.

If I remember, SBC is the same.