218 vs 230 cam specs

bkahler

Back in 1998 I purchased all of the engine rebuild parts.  The only cam I could find was a 230 cam bought from Andy Bernbaum.  My engine builder didn't think it would be an issue especially since the engine was being bored .060" oversize which puts the displacement at 226 ci.  The valves were adjusted by the builder at the time of the build, but I don't know what numbers he used for setting the valve lash.

Last night I started looking for specs on the 230 cam and found what appears to be early and late grinds.  However, I was not able to find anything about valve lash settings.  It was getting late, and I finally gave up.  I figured asking the gurus here will likely give me better more detailed answers anyway :)

So, the question is, what do I set the valve lash at? I'd like numbers for both hot and cold if they are available.

Thanks,

Brad

Merle, thanks for the info!  I didn't have easy access to my shop manual last night, just my computer tablet.  

Next time I have the engine running I would like to try and check the valve lash and also re-torque the head bolts.  Which reminds me, in the past when I've re-torqued my Triumph engines, I always loosened a bolt 1/4 turn and then torqued it back to spec, doing so in the normal torquing sequence.  Does this same process apply to these flatheads?

On 3/23/2023 at 12:52 PM, Merle Coggins said:

I don't know if it's 'correct' or not, but I just go over them again with the torque wrench until they're up to torque. 

I've known other people doing the same thing with no issues reported.

Do you do this more than one time (heat cycle) or do you repeat until the bolts stop moving?

I ran the engine for about 20 minutes yesterday and right after shutdown I re-torqued the bolts.  I was surprised that I was able to get another quarter turn or more on each bolt.  I'm not used to that much change.

46 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

If they came loose after 10-20 years you probably have other issues, unless it hasn't run since it was rebuilt that long ago. 

Nope runs every summer but I don't recall doing it or knowing it should be done on either of my flatheads 

On 3/27/2023 at 10:25 AM, bkahler said:

I ran the engine for about 20 minutes yesterday and right after shutdown I re-torqued the bolts.  I was surprised that I was able to get another quarter turn or more on each bolt.  I'm not used to that much change.

Does sound like more then you might expect. But hey, thats why your in there checking it over.

I would say a rule of thumb, keep checking until they stop moving.

Would be a good chance the next time you check, you will get no more movement .... then 3 times is enough.

If you get some movement on a couple bolts the 3rd time .... then I would check it a 4th time.

As a rule, 3 times is enough. If you are getting movement on the 4th or 5th time .... I would start questioning the accuracy of the tool, the quality of the bolts .... something is up.

To get movement on the 2nd round is perfectly normal.

I plan on following Mere's suggestion doing at least a third re-torque.  Also as Merle suggested, this time around I won't back bolt off 1/4 turn, I'll just try torquing to the required value.  It will be interesting to see how that works out.

Stay tuned.....