Rear axle spring perch pin size

FarmerJon
Go to solution Solved by Saskwatch,

Anyone have a spare leaf spring or rear axle they can measure the pin on?

My car came with cheap 1" lowering blocks on it that are meant for a 2" spring. S

This causes the U bolts to sit a a wide angle. I am making a pair of solid blocks, but need to know what size to drill for the locator hole.

Thank you

20230322_121046.jpg.fa5cf14c897a491100449a15b4c8b95b.jpg

• Solution

Measurement of the pin on the 1&3/4 “ wide leaf spring pack is 1/2” ( measured by holding a tape measure up to the pin & eye balling …. 
  The hole in the rear axle , leaf spring centring mount looks to be at 17/16”  using the same tape measure & the same eye ball estimate device…. Left eye slightly closed , aiming with the right, right fore finger trembling,ready to squeeze the trigger  (-;    ?

• Thanks 1

Yes , pin & socket are centred , …. The pin is 1/2” the socket is a hair over that , probably is 9/16” but I only have a retractable tape measure held up to the socket & it appears to be under the 9/16 mark , so on second thought , maybe that would be 17/32 ?? ??‍♂️

?

• Thanks 1

Thank you D35 Torpedo for keeping me honest …… if necessary, in my defence - 

Farmer Jon was looking for the proper size to make the socket in his lowering blocks , I tried my best to give him the

“Size of the head” or the diameter of that pin , that will fit into that socket , NOT the bolt size that runs through the the leaf spring pack  ?

• Like 1

Ok goood. I'd hate for FJ to mess it up and have to start again. 

14 hours ago, Saskwatch said:

Thank you D35 Torpedo for keeping me honest …… if necessary, in my defence - 

Farmer Jon was looking for the proper size to make the socket in his lowering blocks , I tried my best to give him the

“Size of the head” or the diameter of that pin , that will fit into that socket , NOT the bolt size that runs through the the leaf spring pack  ?

I'm a stickler for correct terminology. It wasn't clear to me what you were conveying. So, to prevent confusion, I posted. Not a witch hunt?

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 12:11 PM, FarmerJon said:

Anyone have a spare leaf spring or rear axle they can measure the pin on?

My car came with cheap 1" lowering blocks on it that are meant for a 2" spring. S

This causes the U bolts to sit a a wide angle. I am making a pair of solid blocks, but need to know what size to drill for the locator hole.

Thank you

20230322_121046.jpg.fa5cf14c897a491100449a15b4c8b95b.jpg

I'd love to see how your blocks turned out. Post some photos.

Is your car lowered is the front at all?

I will post pics when they are done, doing stuff at work during lunch so I sometimes get torn down and delayed. Hoping to finish them up early next week.

Car is lowered maybe 2.5-3" in the front using "Aerostar" springs with one full coil cut. With cheap, new, stock replacement shocks, car drives very well, although springs are a little clunky at times because the rubber isolaters had fallen apart a d i haven't had a chance to pull it back apart to install the new ones.

If I were to do it again, I would likely do it differently.  I would drop the spring perch on the lower control arm, and cut 1/4-1/2 a coil.

Precision spring part number SP08160. 

Before

IMG_20220219_135023139_HDR.jpg.b68f6b8aabc5cc12456cd7c6a28afe4f.jpg

After IMG_20220223_090151375.jpg.364d2550a60f348de2355972f7725074.jpg

Edited by FarmerJon
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, FarmerJon said:

I will post pics when they are done, doing stuff at work during lunch so I sometimes get torn down and delayed. Hoping to finish them up early next week.

Car is lowered maybe 2.5-3" in the front using "Aerostar" springs with one full coil cut. With cheap, new, stock replacement shocks, car drives very well, although springs are a little clunky at times because the rubber isolaters had fallen apart a d i haven't had a chance to pull it back apart to install the new ones.

If I were to do it again, I would likely do it differently.  I would drop the spring perch on the lower control arm, and cut 1/4-1/2 a coil.

Precision spring part number SP08160. 

Before

IMG_20220219_135023139_HDR.jpg.b68f6b8aabc5cc12456cd7c6a28afe4f.jpg

After IMG_20220223_090151375.jpg.364d2550a60f348de2355972f7725074.jpg

Great info. Thanks for the spring information. I didn't know about changing the spring perch. 

Interested to see how the blocks turn out. Never know I may need a set ?

• 2 months later...
On 3/31/2023 at 11:15 AM, FarmerJon said:

Finished the blocks today, came out pretty nice, hopefully will get a chance to install them in the next week or so. Thanks again for the measurements!20230331_141222.jpg.bd6c10304802be6da77914734cc50fa2.jpg20230331_141239.jpg.ec8e2f801a5b4b1b3aa4b340d1aa0871.jpg

Can I ask where you found the raw aluminum? I've been trying to find a source here on Vancouver Island for about 2 months and everyone is coming up empty handed.

I'm looking to fabricate or purchase a set of 3" lowering blocks (1 3/4" wide) for my 1947 D24... Ubolts are covered, just need to find or build some blocks... lol

Thanks in advance...

Rob.

33 minutes ago, hbpaints said:

I'm looking to fabricate or purchase a set of 3" lowering blocks (1 3/4" wide) for my 1947 D24.

I'd just go with a set of Posie's Super Slide leafs.  Much better ride and a built in 3" drop, not as cheap though.

49 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I'd just go with a set of Posie's Super Slide leafs.  Much better ride and a built in 3" drop, not as cheap though.

I agree, that would work much better, but with the exchange and shipping it's over an $800 bill canadian....

Aluminum blocks "should" come in a tad cheaper.... lol

On 6/1/2023 at 12:04 PM, hbpaints said:

Can I ask where you found the raw aluminum? I've been trying to find a source here on Vancouver Island for about 2 months and everyone is coming up empty handed.

I'm looking to fabricate or purchase a set of 3" lowering blocks (1 3/4" wide) for my 1947 D24... Ubolts are covered, just need to find or build some blocks... lol

Thanks in advance...

Rob.

I work in manufacturing, so I was able to scrounge some scrap material. It started off as 1.5"x2" bar stock. this is why i had to mill it down to 1.75".

Mcmaster Carr (and other, cheaper suppliers) sell 1.75"x4" aluminum bar stock. You could cut it to the length you want. 

I would be cautious of blocks much over 2", due to driveshaft angle changes, changes in axle placement and scrubline concerns. With some care, you could figure out the angles and axle placement and correct by milling the right angle on one side of the blocks.

I havent looked at exactly how much block our cars can fit before scrub line is an issue, but it should be considered.

hopefully that is all helpful.

12 hours ago, FarmerJon said:

With some care, you could figure out the angles and axle placement and correct by milling the right angle on one side of the blocks.

Or you might consider some shims to correct the angle

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/pinion-angle-shims

• Like 1

I of late when retrofitting a drive train found a need for some 4 degree shims for the 1.75 spring width.  I used WFO Concept brand and while a bit more costly, they are by far some of the best shims I have seen on the market.  I was not involved with any lift/lowering, just setting the phasing of the driveline.  

Just one such product and the one I used.  Summit has changed some of their search aspects and could not find a filter for angle or width.   You have to sort by looking at each offering now it seems.

WFO 4.0-1.75 for sale | eBay

• Like 1

the filters are just one or two, at one time...you could sort by angle then by spring width.    Same as axle perches where one could filter out the chaff.  The trend is to force you into make and model so they can target you with other items it seems.  Last time I bought perches at Summit the filters were in place for spring width and tube diameter. The search within results for some reasons takes me off the page I am supposed to be searching within and list products nowhere closely related.  Many website have gone this change in search even our own site here where you have to use so many modifiers to narrow down the junk returns.   I once used Summit site for checking availability as I do a fair bit of retrofitting as often you got specs....specifications are slowly being taken from all listing and the go-to make and model search is what the parts counter guy only has an understanding of as in...nope not listed, next in line please.