New engine for the 1948 Deluxe.. Will it fit?

rcl700
Go to solution Solved by Eneto-55,

I purchased a replacement motor on a whim, sight unseen. I'm hoping that I didn't make a mistake. I believe what I purchased was a 230 to be installed in place of a stock 218. 

Any help in identifying the motor and fitment advice will be greatly appreciated. 

(Plymouth Deluxe 4 Door)

Screenshot_20230321_140243_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20230321_130309_Messenger.jpg

received_1214706139181471.jpeg

Edited by rcl700
Add info

• rcl700 changed the title to New engine for the 1948 Deluxe.. Will it fit?
57 minutes ago, LazyK said:

Seems to have the wrong thermostat housing for a '54. So did they change the head or just assemble from what they had on hand?

I really don't know. I'm new to all things plymouth. I'm excited as the car I'll be getting was my grandfather's, then my dad's, and soon to be mine. I got a little excited looking for parts and ended up purchasing a motor. 

received_238548775219938.jpeg

received_737322551304723.jpeg

Good to hear that you're keeping the family car on the road.  There is a lot of information on this forum that might help you out.  Look at the top under download, resources, and technical. 

Just keep asking questions here and try not to take offense at some of the comments you might get.  There are a lot of really knowledgeable and experienced guys who know their stuff here, but I think sometimes people forget what it was like when you're just learning something new. 

Just remember, as the saying goes, the only dumb question is the one that wasn't asked.  

As far as I know the 23" 218 & 230 will swap out with no problems.

There are differences on the 230 crank where it will have 6 or 8 bolt holes for the fluid drive transmissions .... so if this makes sense.

You can pull a 218 & install a 230 in it's place.

Same time depending on your transmission .... You can not pull a 230 & replace it with a 218.

Now if you have a straight up manual transmission, they do not care if it is a 218 or 230.

The 218/230 share the same block & pistons, head. The crank & rods are different ..... A 230 is a stroked 218.

The 230 just simply offered another mounting option for transmissions that the 218 did not offer.

Or you could say, the larger cars with the fancy transmissions, only came with a 230 .... 218 was not a option in those cars.

The 230 will be a fine replacement for your 218.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the followup. So being that this motor has 8 holes on the crank it will fit the likely 4 bolt pattern transmission currently in the car as well as others (3 speed on the tree) . 

And also because it has an 8 bolt crank it is a 230? 

Screenshot_20230321_130309_Messenger.jpg

6 hours ago, harmony said:

Good to hear that you're keeping the family car on the road.  There is a lot of information on this forum that might help you out.  Look at the top under download, resources, and technical. 

Just keep asking questions here and try not to take offense at some of the comments you might get.  There are a lot of really knowledgeable and experienced guys who know their stuff here, but I think sometimes people forget what it was like when you're just learning something new. 

Just remember, as the saying goes, the only dumb question is the one that wasn't asked.  

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm excited. I remember playing in this car as a little boy. I believe it's been off the road for prob 30 years. 

Wish me luck. I now have to figure out how to get it transpoted across the country  from CA to GA.

Edited by rcl700
  • Like 1

you do not have to identify the 54 engine on any serial number of production car...being the only year Plymouth offered the 218 and the 230 as straight 6 engine available,  the engine is stamped special to indicate the 230 distinction, the DIAMOND you see stamped ahead of the series/design number....this is 230 and only 1954 engines will ever have this mark.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

you do not have to identify the 54 engine on any serial number of production car...being the only year Plymouth offered the 218 and the 230 as straight 6 engine available,  the engine is stamped special to indicate the 230 distinction, the DIAMOND you see stamped ahead of the series/design number....this is 230 and only 1954 engines will ever have this mark.

Great info, thank you. Now I know. 

◇230

I've used Fastenal for shipping heavy stuff cross country. Motor has to be in a crate (load and unload with a forklift) and you can't be in a hurry but they were the best price that I found.

48 minutes ago, moparfun said:

I've used Fastenal for shipping heavy stuff cross country. Motor has to be in a crate (load and unload with a forklift) and you can't be in a hurry but they were the best price that I found.

I have to get the p15 moved across the country ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 7:23 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

Is there a way to know what hp rating this 230 is? I looked up 230 hp rating but it listenable few different versions with higher compression ratios and differing hp numbers. 

received_102928209419702.jpeg

from online search.....

• In February of 1954, Plymouth introduced its 230.2-cu.in. PowerFlow straight-six with a longer piston stroke, compression boosted to 7.25:1 and 110 horsepower.  so with the diamond in your engine number and if in stock bore, and good tune, you can quote these numbers with some authority. 

able to beat a tarantula crossing the road and could get a good picture of a roadrunner as it sped alongside.   The 230 in my 54 coupled to the Powerflite 2 speed automatic is super smooth with speeds into the 80's (fast enough for this area) with plenty of pedal to go and the automatic holding the shift at WOT to about 52/53MPH lends to some decent acceleration.  Made a believer out of Don Coatney....he liked the manner the car performed.  I do not recommend speeding and surely recommend upgrades brakes and suspension modified a tad to de-float the boat.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

• Solution

My memory is getting a bit fuzzy, but if I recall correctly, the bell housing is different in the area where the clutch equalizer torque tube mounts.  So save all you can from the old engine, if it still has one in it.

1 hour ago, Eneto-55 said:

My memory is getting a bit fuzzy, but if I recall correctly, the bell housing is different in the area where the clutch equalizer torque tube mounts.  So save all you can from the old engine, if it still has one in it.

I most certainly will. The car should be complete but I know for sure in a few days.