GyroMatic issues

Marty C

I have finally got my 1952 Dodge Coronet up and driving fine  

i decided to give it a shake down cruise 

it was performing perfectly until close to about 45 minutes of stop and go driving along with a stint on the highway 

the transmission started having trouble downshifting back to 3rd in drive range and 1 st in power range. 
the engine would stall sometimes or violently down shift when trying to accelerate 

sometimes on the trip home it would downshift ok but almost at a stop or again sometimes still stuck in 4th with the jerky downshift if I gave it gas!

any ideas ?

would lowering the engine idle speed a little more, help?

my other idea is a dirty governor! Should I change the transmission oil?

Any ideas?

thank you 

Edited by Marty C
Accidentally hit edit

The Imperial club website has a troubleshooting manual available for download. It explains how to test the system and adjust it. It could be any number of things. In my case bad wiring caused problems for me. Someone had patched the transmission harness and it was a bad job.

• Thanks 1

I had similar situation last summer I did everything. Seems like cleaning the Governor Points and a new Coil did the trick.

Check your fuss at the transmission box on the wheel well sometimes they get corroded or bad and don't send a clear message to the carb

• Thanks 1

The wiring harness is new as is the interruptor the fuse circuit breaker and resistor is also new so I’m leaning towards the governor 

it has not been changed or looked at by me since I got the car 

going to look at it and the points 

Thank you all 

will keep you posted