Can I get Jacquiline designated a therapy car?

OUTFXD

I Used to love to drive. I could go on a road trip on a moments notice without notice.  I would occasionally get off work and drive to the beach just cus.

The last couple decades my passion for driving diminished to it just being another necessity.  As cars "Improved" I lost interest in driving.

Enter Jacquiline.   I love driving Jacquiline.  Driving her makes me Mentally relax, Physically relax,  and happy so I suppose emotionally relax. All is okay with the world.

The feeling of mechanical connection with the wheels, breaks, Clutch,  and engine are calming and I feel in control.  So much more than my Subaru, which was like driving a sensory deprivation chamber.  I would rather drive Jacquiline to the point I sold my Subaru and Jacquiline is now my sole source of transportation.

Does she count as a therapy car?  To me she does.

• Like 8

When we first bought our 37 Plymouth the seller told us we would have a perpetual smile on our faces. We have owned our car now for 4 years and she still brings a smile to our faces. I heard someone say, 'You know the love affair is over when you don't look out the window of your home just to look your car...... Yep she's still there!

• Like 1

Absolutely, she should be designated with that status.  I think we should get special licence plates like collector plates, and get a discount on insurance.  It would cut down on accidents due to road rage.

I drive my 1930 Hudson (Surmod) almost everyday, except when it snows or it's icy during the winter months.  Then they cover the roads with salt and I park it until we get a heavy rain to wash all that salt away. Before I bought Surmod, Harmony, my '48 Windsor, was my pleasure car.  But since I have Vintage plates and not Collector plates, legally I'm only allowed to drive her on special occasions.  Anyway I got her out for the first time this year a couple days ago and it felt soooooo good and relaxing.  Like you said, all the problems in life seem to evaporate, when you're behind the wheel.  The entire time I'm driving her, I can't wipe the smile off my face. 

It's also very rewarding driving the old relics after those long winters in the shop wearing lined coverall and scraping knuckles, and figuring out how to approach the next project.  That process is therapy in itself.  Then the payoff is when you firing it up and go cruising.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Indeed my old Mopars are therapy cars. I get as much enjoyment from driving them as I do repairing and maintaining them. Its rewarding and somehow fulfilling to keep these old cars in tip-top shape, driving them regularly. The world is a happy, trouble free place when cruising around in an old car at 25 mph. You see the sights and the enjoy the smells. Like seeing the world through rose-colored glasses.

I really like Sunday morning summer cruises at 6am. Before it gets hot. Head out, grab a drive-through coffee and cruise. Stop maybe for a photo op or shoot a little You Tube footage.  Maybe Friday after work, get some take out food. Head to the park overlooking the river with Momma.  Eat in the car, enjoy the sights. While the sun sets. Its hard to beat.

I am in my happy place in and around my old cars. I am fulfilled.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.17.12 PM.jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, harmony said:

I think we should get special licence plates like collector plates,

Hmmm makes me wonder how much custom License Plate Frames would cost.  cuz... Now I got to!

• Like 1

Keith, you just hit the nail on the head - when we’re driving our old cars, we are in our happy place, reminiscing about old happy memories and creating new ones as we drive our prides and joys.  It’s a special experience, only those of us who own these cars can experience.  Looking forward to getting “Winnie” out of storage very soon, as soon as they stop salting the roads!

• Like 1

The drive to the dentist to get root canal redone? It was something special!

The drive to the supermarket, to grab a loaf of bread? Special!

Taking the dog to the vet? Yep, super special! All would be mundane, even unpleasant, behind the wheel of an "ordinary" car. But, ours are extraordinary!

My car is temporarily out of commission, and the withdrawal isn't easy. I nearly need to own a back-up support vehicle :)

• Like 2

I can drive my 49 first edition with a 3.9 easily at 65 mph. I make a trip to Three Forks to recycle paper, cardboard and plastic. It’s only a 60 mile round trip. Today, I drove the Interstate to TF and old highway US10 along the Jefferson River and past Lewis and Clark caverns on the return. As much as we like to go for a drive, I got a half dozen waves on the secondary road, I think it brings a smile to other drivers too. Rick D.

1172412C-3739-47BD-86CB-15083C90A64B.jpeg

1016F7F3-B621-4812-9A0F-6936F78D10AF.jpeg

• Like 6

That's a good point that 9 foot box made about the smiles we create.

When I'm out and about in my '48 Windsor ( Harmony) I get lots of dignified smiles and thumbs up, with a sense of wow in their smiles.   But when I'm out and about in my 1930 Hudson (Surmod)  you'd think I was in a parade. I'd say at least 80% of the people I see, pedestrians, bicyclists, and drivers, acknowledge the car.  Some with just a smile, some thumbs up, some pedestrians stop in their tracks and spread their arms, I've even had a few people bow.  Many applaud, and I've had a few very young kids, probably preschoolers tug on their parents sleeve and point at the car. Some people jump up and down and cheer.  I travel the same route through town to get to my shop each morning and return each afternoon.  Many of the regular people simply smile and wave now, like we're old friends.  It sure keeps me on my toes, because I feel I need to acknowledge their appreciation of days gone by, with a return wave or a blast of the horn.  It's rewarding and comforting to see teenagers look up from their phones and wave and take pictures of these two cars.  They can still appreciate an old car even though they probably have no connection with it.  For the most part teenagers can only connect with that rectangular gadget in the palm of their hand. I go past a couple high schools and middle schools on my short daily journeys and it just feels good to see them take the time to appreciate these Oldtimers. 

harmonysurmod-50.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1