Vintage license plates

jsd245

So who else has a state that allows the use of “year of manufacture” plates? I found 1952 plates for my 1952 and was able to get the approval to use them. I think it’s pretty cool. 

1AA9B2DF-E78C-4DB6-8D84-C16DD201A150.jpeg

PA and Maryland does, but has restrictions. For a truck— would be considered “antique” to use them and does not allow hauling of anything. This ties in with the insurance as well and would not be covered if something was in the bed and there was an accident. I believe 1 ton trucks and over is where there becomes issues. 
  Just check your local state laws very well. 

They are definitely “cool”!

Calif. does, may be restrictions, not sure,

I'm in CO but registered (non-Op) in Calif.

One day they will be on the truck!

471414190_CAPlates1.jpg.1976b7475b5b119d4a54c41a9acae5da.jpg

I also have a set of Re-Pop CA Plates, need one more 48 tag.

20230316_184914_1600x1200.jpg.a0ebfa612168133f0f5f0176dbd40bf1.jpg

I believe that only one year tag (like the 48 above) was given out to the license holder for the rear plate only.  Therefore only one was required.

While Ca. has and does require front plates also to this day it is Fairly loosely  enforced in my experience. At least on older cars like ours.

Many twists and turns in the current Ca. regs. to be totally legal but most? old car owners play pretty loose with the rules and Generally get away with it If they drive  decently..

My experience here in Central Ca.

DJ

6 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

I believe that only one year tag (like the 48 above) was given out to the license holder for the rear plate only.  Therefore only one was required.

While Ca. has and does require front plates also to this day it is Fairly loosely  enforced in my experience. At least on older cars like ours.

Many twists and turns in the current Ca. regs. to be totally legal but most? old car owners play pretty loose with the rules and Generally get away with it If they drive  decently..

My experience here in Central Ca.

DJ

That may be, I'm not really positive on that one, I do know when I did jump through all their hoops to do year of manufacture (YOM) registration, I did have to have two plates physically in my hand to show the person behind the desk.

Here at home, this is the only document I have regarding CA plates,

might have more at work.

It is vague at best on the required number of tags.

64887336_Screenshot2023-03-16192308.jpg.21f79b0636269263dfe3959c5d2cce48.jpg

I'm in Maryland and have run them on a couple vehicles in the past. I hesitate doing it again just because dealing with the DMV is such a hassle. The last go around they gave me a number at the door, as they usually do, but it turned out to be invalid! Waited around for 90 minutes, at which point they were closing for the day. When they figured out what had happened it was too late to process my request and I had to come back. Not the first time that's happened! But, I have found that, once I'm actually standing in front of the clerk, at a decent time of day, they can get those tags approved pretty quick.

I have them on 3 of my classics here in MN. My latest trucks I titled together and they have sequential collector plate #s which I might keep. 

As Ed says MN does.  One time fee and "restricted" use of vehicle....altho they've made it harder now with the proliferation of other specialty plates, so ones that start with "T" for old trucks are now hard(er) to get approved.

image.jpeg.397aec15b640534bf03dce49713664ed.jpeg

Iowa allows it, farily easily from what Ive read, havent done the request yet.  in essence you register and title it as a new vehicle and get new current plates.  You then get approval to run the period correct plates, but keep the current ones in the vehicle somewhere to present to law enforcement, if necessary.  I plan to do it that way so I can have no restrictions on my truck(insurance will be on a agreed upon value since initially the insurance said my truck max value was like $5k...um yeah I have that much in just an engine and transmission...)

my brother in law collects plates so Im having him look for what he can find for ones for my truck...should be a good time!

13 hours ago, 47 dodge 1.5 ton said:

PA and Maryland does, but has restrictions. For a truck— would be considered “antique” to use them and does not allow hauling of anything. This ties in with the insurance as well and would not be covered if something was in the bed and there was an accident. I believe 1 ton trucks and over is where there becomes issues. 
  Just check your local state laws very well. 

They are definitely “cool”!

Interestingly CT has some of the best classic vehicle registration laws. No title required for anything older than 20 years. Anything over 20 years is eligible  as is any GVWR.  Only restriction there, is if the gvwr requires a Cdl you better have one to drive it. 120 dollar registration fee and the only restrictions are you cannot haul for hire. You can daily drive a classic vehicle if you want. I can load my truck up with firewood every day provided I am not using it for a business, Plus property tax assessment is capped at $500 value. So even if you had a vintage Ferrari worth $500k , you are taxed on 500 value. The year of manufacture plates are no fee, no restrictions beyond the classic plate restrictions. 

Edited by jsd245
Spelling

This is from Plymouth: The First Decade written by our very own @TodFitch

"Several other states have YOM laws. Check the details for your state which are very likely to be different than California’s. For example, in California a YOM plate is effectively the same as a “vanity plate” and there is yearly fee for it in addition to the regular registration. Because you are paying “full fare” on registration the state places no driving limits (but your collector car insurance company might)."

Edited by billrigsby

18 hours ago, billrigsby said:

I also have a set of Re-Pop CA Plates, need one more 48 tag.

20230316_184914_1600x1200.jpg.a0ebfa612168133f0f5f0176dbd40bf1.jpg

Not sure how you got away with that, if you were showing repo plates at the DMV. They are not legal and the code for YOM specifically states that.

No this vehicle has been legally registered in California as non-operational since 1987 with original 1947 plates and a 1948 tag,

I only just recently purchased those for wall hangers, bought one, like the quality so I bought a second so I have a pair just like on the vehicle.

Tennessee allows it, you can only use vehicle on the weekends, holidays, too and from shows and troubleshooting (I keep a few tools and a set of points in the glove box so every trip is troubleshooting...)

• Like 1

Waiting for sheetrock mud to dry, playing on the computer,

had an old screen shot of the mailer card for the 'CA Year Tag' from eBay.

s-l1600.jpg.0959fe3d035f3ce3a619623a4f142d70.jpg

Decided to make a mock-up of one, need some heavier kraft paper for the final, also making the plate envelope, why?

Why not, killing time!

20230318.jpg.ebfbc6344c9ef4a828d439d571d70178.jpg

Edited by billrigsby

On 3/16/2023 at 5:45 PM, billrigsby said:

Calif. does, may be restrictions, not sure,

I'm in CO but registered (non-Op) in Calif.

One day they will be on the truck!

471414190_CAPlates1.jpg.1976b7475b5b119d4a54c41a9acae5da.jpg

On 3/17/2023 at 7:25 AM, billrigsby said:

This is from Plymouth: The First Decade written by our very own @TodFitch

"Several other states have YOM laws. Check the details for your state which are very likely to be different than California’s. For example, in California a YOM plate is effectively the same as a “vanity plate” and there is yearly fee for it in addition to the regular registration. Because you are paying “full fare” on registration the state places no driving limits (but your collector car insurance company might)."

You beat me to it. :)

On 3/16/2023 at 6:03 PM, jsd245 said:

So who else has a state that allows the use of “year of manufacture” plates? I found 1952 plates for my 1952 and was able to get the approval to use them. I think it’s pretty cool.

NH allows the use of them.  probably has restrictions, although the restrictions would be the same as for running "normal" antique plates.

In Colorado;

(1) In addition to any other registration, the department may approve use of the style of original plates from the vehicle's year of manufacture for motor vehicles valued principally because of the vehicles' early date of manufacture, design, or historical interest or valued as collector's items. Original plates must meet the following criteria in order to qualify for use under this section:
(a) The plates were made at least thirty years prior to registration under this section;
(b) The plates are embossed with the year of original issue;
(c) The plates are legible;
(d) The plates were issued contemporaneously with the year of manufacture of the vehicle upon which they are displayed, as determined by the department; and
(e) The plates do not exceed seven characters.
(2) A person shall not drive the vehicle bearing the original plates except as authorized in section 42-12-301 (5).

(5) A person may drive a motor vehicle with the special registration plates authorized by this section or section 42-12-302 on the streets and highways, but only:
(a) To and from assemblies, conventions, or other meetings where such vehicles and their ownership are the primary interest;
(b) On special occasions, for demonstrations and parades;
(c) On occasions when the operation of the vehicle on the streets and highways will not constitute a traffic hazard; and

(d) To, from, and during local, state, or national tours held primarily for the exhibition and enjoyment of such vehicles.

• 4 weeks later...

Another NC truck - my '55 C3B. This shows the old plate on the truck and the current (non-antique) plate in the rear window. Although the window suction cups always dry out and drop the plate. It's currently in a book on the seat. Just like Dodgeed, I've never been asked to show the current plate.

rear.png

Edited by rlg0613

The province of Alberta in Canada allows YOM plates. This plate is on my 1951 Dodge D39 business coupe. Lots of people mistake it for a ‘52 plate but for some reason way back when, Alberta put the expiry date on the plate so the 1951 plate expired on 31.3.52 or 31st of March 1952. Canadian dates often put the day before the month which to me makes sense. 

incidentally, 8 is my favourite number so I loved this plate when I found it at a swap meet. 

83A81628-EDC1-4FF2-9025-CCEAC6FFB8F5.jpeg.364804a9f0649597c2c4040fd821f04f.jpeg

59C2BC9B-9A7E-40F6-A331-A1A94FCC29C8.jpeg.639d2c51aad2374e3ca154faf386342d.jpeg

• Like 1