"does my generator work test"

OUTFXD

3 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I guarantee I will have a volt meter .... just not sure if I can figure out how to use both amp & volt gauges at the same time or worth the trouble.

Both have their uses.  An ammeter will tell you right now if your alternator/generator takes a dump.  A voltmeter will show a gradual decline.  For what good either will do.  Years ago, was driving to Atlanta in my 64 300, it got dark and I put on my headlights, at some point I noticed my headlights were pretty darn dim, they were original style incandescents so dim was their game.  Looked at the ammeter and it was heavy into discharge.  Turns out my alternator took a dump.  In this case and likely in many others, neither gauge would have helped because I wasn't looking at them.  Which is why they started putting in idiot lights, for idiots like me, lol. 

Now what a voltmeter will tell you is the voltage available.  An ammeter doesn't do that.  So if, for example, your regulator is off the voltmeter can alert you to that if you know what it should be and you LOOK at it, lol. 

If you want to use the plumbing analogy as an explanation (which I dislike because it only looks at supply and neglects return) a low flow shower head is a great example.  High pressure (what your voltmeter would be reading) but crap flow ( which your ammeter would be reading).  So if your voltmeter reads 13v but the ammeter shows a discharge that will tell you your charging system took a dump (negative ammeter reading) but the battery is still near full capacity (voltmeter reading), again if you look.  So time to find a safe spot to pull over and sort out what's going on.  Or you can wait till the headlights get dim enough to notice then scramble for a spot to not get killed when you get off the road, lol.

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2023 at 8:33 PM, Sam Buchanan said:

There are some mis-understandings here.

1) Installing an alternator is a sign of defeat? Really? My car has a new aftermarket fuel tank, should I feel defeated because I decided not to try to make the old, corroded, clogged tank work? What about radial tires......a sign of defeat? 

2) The entire car doesn't have to be rewired to install an alternator. Matter of fact, wiring is eliminated and simplified.....hey....it's just ONE wire.

3) There are splendid reasons for using a 6v alternator. No need to change light bulbs and the starter works as it should. If there are electric accessories such as wipers they still work fine.

Anyway, just wanted to address this items to avoid confusion in case someone is considering an 6v alternator. The things work splendidly and the car functions as before.....only better.  :)

I don't think your example of replacing a gas tank is an apple to apple comparison.  Replacing a gas tank with a reproduction, or a later model tank, isn't changing the character of your fuel system. I didn't care for the "defeat" point either.  People make choices for their own car, for their own reasons.

On 3/22/2023 at 8:33 PM, Sam Buchanan said:

1) Installing an alternator is a sign of defeat? Really? My car has a new aftermarket fuel tank, should I feel defeated because I decided not to try to make the old, corroded, clogged tank work? What about radial tires......a sign of defeat? 

I admit I may have been a little rude or direct there .... :)  I mean no harm by it, just the way I am.

It is the old 6V VRS 12V question and to each their own. Your hamburger, fix it the way you want it.

Your gas tank analogy, I feel you improved your vehicle. My new tank the metal has been given some rust protection, it is setup for a electric fuel pump if I choose to add one inside the tank .... I should check to see if they have one for carburated vehicles? ..... I spent my money and I improved my vehicle. I got value for my money.

I know of many reasons to stay 6V ..... Lets drag @keithb7 into it  :P

Keith Is a teacher or instructor, He is very good at it. His videos are top notch and I feel that he loves or enjoys what he is doing. He says he enjoys explaining how things work to the younger generation at local car shows.

He drives his cars everywhere and he is going to stay 6V generator.

I'm just not that guy, if I go to a car show will park in the parking lot and look at others work, and chat for a little while then head home. .... I went 12V alternator, My alternator on rockauto sells for $38 I can go to any auto parts store and and get a replacement.  Again, I feel I spent my money, improved my electrical system and got value for my $$...

So when it comes to 6V + ground alternators, It is just my personal opinion. It is a better way to deliver a inferior product ... Not good value for my $$.

Honestly if I were a wise man, I would just keep my opinions too myself ..... sadly I'm not a wise man either  :P

Edited by Los_Control

I just find it interesting that a zombie, one-year-old thread is being poked.......I thought this discussion had pretty much run out of gas (or voltage!) a year ago.......   😆

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 2

I’m sitting on the sidelines, watching.  Minding my own business.  I get dragged in to one of two discussions that will never be solved:

1. What oil to run? Zinc additive?

2. 6V or 12V?

I’ll respond based on my experience and what makes me tick. 

6V? Cool. I wonder how that system works?  Let’s rebuild it and see if we can make my car perform like it did when it was new. I’ll learn a ton along the way plus it’ll feel good to fix something I know little about.

Hmm. The wiring is old and crusty. A bit of a volatile mess.  Do I order a new replacement wiring harness? Pretty pricey. Plus how am I going to improve my soldering and harness building skill-set? I’ve got plenty of time that I don’t seem to mind wasting. I sure don’t like paying someone else to do what I can learn to do myself. I sure don’t like letting money out of my wallet very quickly. 

Off we go. 6V it is. I’ll read and study all about it. I’ll make my own harnesses and upgrade wire gauge too. I’ll add relays & fuses. A 6V-12V converter too for my iphone.  I’ll rebuild switches. Sockets.  Salvage and re-use rare wire connections. 

Voila.  My car starts up immediately and runs like a dream on 6V.  I feel good. I like it. It’s different than everyone else on the road. It works well. People I meet like to talk about my 6V system. These experiences feed my brain good things about the vintage car hobby.  I’d rather spend $1200 on books, tools and parts.  Then another 40 hours of my time perfecting my skills,  versus spending $1200 on a new harness assembly. 

So now I’ve appeased myself and quelled my curiosity.  I like 6V and I’ll stick with it. Both of my cars are 6V and I’ll keep them that way.  You can do whatever makes you feel good and secure. 12V if you like. The other 5 vehicles around my house are all 12V. They work fine too. No complaints except they are way harder to work on! Lol. 

Not sure I helped settle anything here. Now you just know me a bit better. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 5

Ok......glad this is settled......can we let this old thread return to its deep slumber??  Like Keith I was minding my own business and got drug back into this zombie thread.......  🤣

Here is a current thread in case someone wants to continue beating this horse:

https://p15-d24.com/topic/61303-converting-from-6v-to-12v/

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Hey look, I got drug into the thread just like you did ..... not sure who did it .... looks like the culprit edited and removed their post. .....

I'm just saying the old post got revived, I was a bit confused .... as I was tagged in it.

I have 100% respect for everyone in the thread ..... and in 2024 my opinion has not changed.

GO SOLAR ECLIPSE!   :) It will be Monday.

19 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Sometimes us old men sit around and gossip more then the old women

You're right about old men, it's all about the subject matter. Just like veterans and their war stories.. each year they get bigger and better. 

"There I wuz, WW DeNang.... surrounded by 20 enemies and all I had wuz my K-bar. I was afraid.. Afraid one of 'em would get away "

Joe Lee

How about a slightly different issue. Same 6v only the car is Dads 55 Chrysler. Turns that big old hemi pretty slow. But lots more stuff to worry about if trying to convert. So far plan is to try and improve the 6v and make it work a little better