Dash Speedo Project

keithb7

That was interesting puzzle to access the speedometer. Its howling. No improvement after lubricating the cable.  It does not utilize a wick or lubricating port. I may just try and spray lubricant into the guts of this speedo.  It looks way too delicate for my ape hands to disassemble . I’ll surely break it. I may send it out for disassembly, cleaning and lubrication. 
Any have a similar experience? How did you solve it?

8E5687FA-FC40-4045-A971-84EC7E3B8E9A.jpeg.c0ce2f726d7d942e204f27abce86f6a5.jpeg

312007BD-0FBA-4EF5-9EBF-339817EE5D50.jpeg.ee42d6f0980901345aaedad1ff280edb.jpeg

5CF7A064-9AAC-4846-BC73-373CF4D8BC68.jpeg.7e9331f8ea6dcfb3e85f0318d5077d23.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

It's almost definitely your cable making the noise. There isn't much in the speedo that can do that. But, since you have it out put a drop of oil on the shaft bushing. You can also lube the odometer gears. Flooding it is not going to help. Test it with a drill before you reinstall it to verify that it's working smoothly.

I pulled speedo cable out 2x. Pulled out inner drive cable. Cleaned and lubed it. No improvement. I’ll try some 3 in 1 oil on the speedo parts. Thx. 

Edited by keithb7

Thought I’d follow up.

I oiled up areas of the speedo mechanism that I could reach. I used 3in1 oil. I removed the glass. Cleaned it up inside. Painted the tip of the needle red again.  I spun it up on the drill. Seemed good. I pulled the cable, lubed it up again.  Reassembled all and lifted the rear wheels. I took it up to 40 mph in top gear. No noise. It looks better. All seems good.  Off we go, cruising again soon. 

3D2913F1-24F7-4E98-B8F8-DD0101430D9A.jpeg.3ca158ed0d7fcfc62decbc83cb0bf76f.jpeg

• Like 3

No I used an aerosol spray lube on the cable. Pulled inner drive cable right out. Sprayed adequate lube down cable hole.  Also sprayed some on the cable itself when I fed it back down the hole. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After a road test…Smooth! The needle is working better than ever. No jumping around anymore between 5-20 mph. Steady-eddy now.  Happy with the results. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For anyone with gauge problems on the 38 Plymouth,  A tidbit of information-the Roadking and the Deluxe used different part number gauges. On the Deluxe, the speedo and gauge pod mount with 3 ears and the Roadking with 2 ears. The individual gauges all have different part numbers.

Thank you for this timely post Keithb7.

I have some of the JohnDeere corn head grease leftover from packing in the steering box. 
 Question -  Do you think After removing & cleaning  the cable and housing , I could use some of that grease to successfully lube the speedometer cable unit ?

Thank you ?

I had some bounce problems with the needle on my speedo and at the time read on the forum about lubricating the cable. I used the white Lithium grease on mine just over 2 1/2 years ago now and it has worked great. Not saying it is the right thing just what was mentioned at the time.  Good job Keith, small parts scare my big hands also.  Dave

• Like 1