VERY Interesting, NOS Dash Indicator. Help Identify Please.

Skrambler

I did as must research as possible on this little NOS "indicator", but still coming up empty. Most of my MoPar books are older and follow the six digit numbers. This looks exactly like the part that helps hold the speedometer assembly in my 41 Plymouths, and I have seen them on the P-15's as well. Only difference is that the ones I am used to seeing indicate "High Beam" not "Directional". I have heard of this being a factory option on those cars, but never actually saw one installed! Part number is 1163939 in case it is not readable in photos.

Thanks folks.

DSCN4134.JPG

DSCN4139.JPG

DSCN4140.JPG

DSCN4141.JPG

DSCN4142.JPG

• Like 2

It's a factory option and part of the turn signal kit.
The one you are showing definitely fits P14 and P15 Plymouths. It may fit earlier models too.
There was a similar part for Dodge cars but the bezel is at a different angle.
I have gradually collected the parts to fit one of these to my car but I still need to make some plastic inserts for the arrows.
I know Mark Duggan's convertible has the same, factory fitted. And there are a couple of D25s over here in the UK that also have the same turn signal part.

IMG_20170218_172128333.jpg

1.jpg

Scan-140317-0001.jpg

• Like 3

I'd sure love to find one for the 48 P15 but like many things they are hard to find or if you find one they want an arm and two legs for them

Thank you all for your replies and photos!

I suppose a question still bugs me. I am adding turn signals, for safety sake on a 41 Plymouth project. Question is would this indicator part and the explained assembly have been a "factory option" in 1941?

If this "fits" really is not the question, as it looks pretty much identical to the high beam only indicator.

If this assembly was NOT a pre-war option, I will be going another direction with this particular build.

Thanks again all.

The relevant parts book will provide the answer to that question. If parts applicable to the indicator option are in there then they were an option. The 1938 Dodge Export Division parts book has all the relevant parts included; extra taillight body, a red/yellow split lens option and the appropriate wiring loom for the system. I believe indicators weren't compulsory in the US then, nor were they in NZ. They must have been in at least one of the export markets though for them to be available as an option.

54 minutes ago, sidevalvepete said:

The relevant parts book will provide the answer to that question. If parts applicable to the indicator option are in there then they were an option. The 1938 Dodge Export Division parts book has all the relevant parts included; extra taillight body, a red/yellow split lens option and the appropriate wiring loom for the system. I believe indicators weren't compulsory in the US then, nor were they in NZ. They must have been in at least one of the export markets though for them to be available as an option.

Yes Sir! I believe you are correct. But all of my resource books do NOT have those 7 digit numbers, 95% are only 6 digit numbers. Possibly someone will answer with this information.

3 hours ago, Skrambler said:

Yes Sir! I believe you are correct. But all of my resource books do NOT have those 7 digit numbers, 95% are only 6 digit numbers. Possibly someone will answer with this information.

The numerical index for the 1936-48 Plymouth Parts books shows part 1163939 being on both page 121 (parts group 8-39-3) and page 126 (parts group 8-50-175).

Looking at page 121 under "Head Lamp Beam Indicator" for "Cars with Direct'n'l Lamp", that part is used on 1941 P11 through 1948 P15 except for 1941 PT125 where a star indicating "not used" is shown. I guess the Plymouth trucks didn't have turn signals.

Page 126 shows the part as "Directional Signal Indicator Lamp JEWEL Ass'y" with the same applications as above.

All that said, most of the parts for 1941 are below 1100000 so it might be that this is a post-war part made available to pre-war cars. I guess you would need a year specific parts book published the year your car was built to know that for sure.