Flathead 6 - Head Torque both Initial and Maintenance

Semmerling

Trying to produce another unified and simplified graphic document on the subject of torqueing the head.
These are a series for my kids to return to as required
In this case, one would download to be able to read it as there doesnt appear to be the means to see it in a larger format here. 
It prints out to standard page size. 

Let me know if it looks in order. 

MASTER 34 DODGE HOW TO TORQUE HEAD.jpg

Edited by Semmerling

Two suggestions, change the font to something easier to read like Helvetica as it is a default on all computers, Mac and Windows. Also from your source program (Word ?) print to a pdf file format, not jpg.  Scaling (i.e. zooming in) is much better in pdf. 

• Like 1

Appreciate you taking the time to respond. 
Here is the graphic in PDF, even with medium bicubic downsampling PDF barely makes the 3MB hurdle
The bigger problem with PDF is that this site requires a download as it appears it cant actively show and enlarge a PDF online.
Not sure PDF actually helps the real problem, that being clearly seeing and enlarging a simple jpg. 

This was made Photoshop.

PDF DODGE HOW TO TORQUE HEAD.pdf

Edited by Semmerling

I'm reading it thinking if my kids, who are nominally proficient in antique auto work, could follow it.  They could, so I like it.  The PDF version is nice and clear.  And while I can read that font just fine, I would recommend a more common one, too (for the text - the heading is awesome).  FWIW - The Dept. of Homeland Security uses Arial in all correspondence because some sage in D.C. determined it was the easiest for the masses to read, but it's rather plain and boring. 

Nice job!

First off, thanks to all for their thoughts. 

I used the font because I had a whole crate of the font, well everything except capital "K" left over from a "don't be boring" mandatory event I had to attend. 
The best news so far is three fold, first that it looks generally serviceable, secondly that PDF makes a difference and thirdly that DHS is still of the mind that the masses can read. By any description....winning. 

It is unclear as to how material is moved into the Tech tab. 

? on the pdf version!  

As to viewing the pdf online I think is more likely the file will be downloaded for use in the shop while working. 

FYI, Arial and Helvetica are basically the same font.

Now you just need to add it to the Downloads tab https://p15-d24.com/files/  so other members can easily find it in the future.

Thank you taking the time and effort to do this!

Now can we discuss the maintenance piece? I've had my flatheads for many many years and miles and have never just randomly retorqued the head. I'm honestly not even sure it was done after the initial build. 

Ed, Now you and I had a long talk about this, remember?

It was right after you admitted that you haven't greased your chassis since Officer Joe Bolton left WPIX. We can talk about the maintenance part but I'm just going to say the say the exact same thing I said back then "Ed, what do you think I find when I retorque my head?"  and you said "it was not up to torque?" and I said "yes, Ed, not everything but always something" and you said "I guess I better get right on it" and I said "grease your chassis too."

So lets just save some time "Ed, torque your head and grease your chassis, in fact do it for all five of your rigs, at worst all you'll here is a bunch of clicks."

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Semmerling said:

Ed, Now you and I had a long talk about this, remember?

It was right after you admitted that you haven't greased your chassis since Officer Joe Bolton left WPIX. We can talk about the maintenance part but I'm just going to say the say the exact same thing I said back then "Ed, what do you think I find when I retorque my head?"  and you said "it was not up to torque?" and I said "yes, Ed, not everything but always something" and you said "I guess I better get right on it" and I said "grease your chassis too."

So lets just save some time "Ed, torque your head and grease your chassis, in fact do it for all five of your rigs, at worst all you'll here is a bunch of clicks."

I can think of at least one worse thing than a bunch of clicks. 

Personally I just don't see the need for this on the maintenance list. My coupe is approaching 30k since the rebuild on the same head gasket. Horror of horrors I also reused the old head bolts 

• Like 2

When the head gasket blew out in my original motor I found that almost a quarter of the bolts could be removed without a tool; I've no idea how the gasket lasted as long as it did.  Since then I would always torque them initially, then every week or so I would see what happened when I retorqued them.  It actually took three retorqings before it reached the point where none of the bolts moved.  Then I stopped worrying about it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 4:05 AM, Dan Hiebert said:

I'm reading it thinking if my kids, who are nominally proficient in antique auto work, could follow it.  They could, so I like it.  The PDF version is nice and clear.  And while I can read that font just fine, I would recommend a more common one, too (for the text - the heading is awesome).  FWIW - The Dept. of Homeland Security uses Arial in all correspondence because some sage in D.C. determined it was the easiest for the masses to read, but it's rather plain and boring. 

Nice job!

i understand your meaning, I've got two kids who are pretty polar opposite when it comes to interests and abilities.  Unfortunately the one who has mechanical skills seems to know it all at 14.  He seems to think all of the old iron I have is already his, and that he's been turning wrench since he was three.  True,  I do have pictures, and he always wants to help, but he's still got a lot to learn, lol.

58 minutes ago, mlozier76 said:

he's still got a lot to learn, lol

My method for teaching is simple.  I warn you and if you want to carry on from there I let you.

Actions have consequences and I generally am willing to let my kids learn firsthand what those consequences are.  Now I won't let them pull a pot of boiling water down on themselves to teach them that boiling water hurts, but short of something along those lines I let them have at it.  They soon realize Dad knows what he's talking about.

Years ago, when my son was pre school aged he wanted to try some of my Tabasco sauce.  I told him he would not like it because it was hot.  Now at the dinner table he sat on my left and me being right handed I generally put the bottle to my right when I was done with it.  A couple days later I put the bottle to my left, inadvertently and right next to him.  So he grabbed it and put it in his mouth, cap was on.

He got a serious case of the big eyes going and I told him "hot, isn't it?", he nodded and I told him to put he bottle down and drink his milk.

That was his first example of Dad knows what he's taking about.  He's fixing to turn 18 this July and is as big a fan of hot sauce as I am.  He generally pays attention to my warnings though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1