D35 Torpedo

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around here for a good while, and have finally decided to join. I picked up my 1950 dodge deluxe in october 2022. It was a total basket case, but fairly complete. Had the front clip off. Cleaned, rust treated, painted and assembled it correctly as it was half-assed together wrong. I went through the starter and repaired it. I honed the brake master back to life, drum assemblies look new. Rebuilt the steering box, carb, fuel pump and horns(craigslist scores). Rewired it front to rear with oversized wire and new sockets, everything soldered. Had to get the heater core recored. The engine was rebuilt in 2000 and was never ran. The generator was freshly rebuilt and the reg looked like new old stock. I rigged up a 12v power window motor for the wipers and it works just fine on 6v. I replaced metal around the front body mounts and fender bottoms. It's completely stock other than being lowered 3 inches. I picked up an 803 radio in much better condition than the 807 that was in it. So that will be the next major project. It's a work in progress but I'm daily driving it. This pic is before I rattle can chromed the front bumper and added the bumperettes. Plans are to get rid of the horribly red paint. Other pics are mid build and the day it came home. 

Cheers,

Andrew

20221212_105922.jpg

20221004_081951.jpg

20221004_081937.jpg

20220905_164854.jpg

• Like 3

At this point, the hood does not say "DODGE", it says "O".  Maybe add a letter after each major achievement. 

Years ago a brother-in-law of mine had a RAMBLER.  He scrambled the letters to read BREMLAR.  He thought that was clever.  

Welcome to the forum Andrew !

That is one nice ride , you have already done a huge amount of work & are enjoying it daily ….. that’s two thumbs up  i’d say ??

Thank you for the pictures , always interesting to hear how you rebuild the generator , starter & the windshield wiper motor conversion, … great idea!

Welcome.  Would you please elaborate on how you got the window motor to work as a wiper motor.

Have you checked out all the cool stuff that there is available on this site? Like the downloads, resources and technical.

Welcome aboard from Oztralia, you have been a busy guy........here in Oz we never got any 2door sedans or coupes so I am always interested in seeing pics of these cars & body styles.......you really seem to have got stuck into the building up of this car and its great to see that you are driving it..........again, welcome aboard and as we all love pics don't hesitate to post any.........regards, Andyd 

16 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

At this point, the hood does not say "DODGE", it says "O".  Maybe add a letter after each major achievement. 

Years ago a brother-in-law of mine had a RAMBLER.  He scrambled the letters to read BREMLAR.  He thought that was clever.  

I am on the hunt for original letters!

13 hours ago, harmony said:

Welcome.  Would you please elaborate on how you got the window motor to work as a wiper motor.

Have you checked out all the cool stuff that there is available on this site? Like the downloads, resources and technical.

I haven't yet. As for the wipers. I kept the original vacuum motor and linkage in place and measured its throw. Then I attached a crank to the motor to reciprocate a piece of flat bar the needed amount. I mounting the motor off the steering column support and tied into the drivers side of the regulator. For pivots, I just drilled the arms, nut and bolted 1/4 20s solid, then slipped the other arm on and used a lock nut to retain it. I did have to beef up the original pivots at the vacuum motor. I removed the rubber and fit door hinge bushings that I widdled down. Ill just snap a pic. I mounted a switch in the stock location and made the original nob fit. Cost 15 bucks.

12 hours ago, ratbailey said:

Dig it! Love the fastback body style. Are you rebuilding the radio you found? Keep us posted with details on repairs, rebuilds and stuff...

That's the plan. I will replace the capacitors and see what happens. The previous owner said it was working when he pulled it...in 1967! Haha. My jaw just about dropped when he said that. I praised him for holding onto it for all these years. I'm not an electronics wiz, i know enough to be dangerous.

1 hour ago, andyd said:

Welcome aboard from Oztralia, you have been a busy guy........here in Oz we never got any 2door sedans or coupes so I am always interested in seeing pics of these cars & body styles.......you really seem to have got stuck into the building up of this car and its great to see that you are driving it..........again, welcome aboard and as we all love pics don't hesitate to post any.........regards, Andyd 

That's a crying shame, usually it's the other way around. You guys get all the good cars!

THANK YOU for all your kind words, questions and ideas. I've enjoyed myself a lot putting this car together. I'm glad to be surounding myself with like minded people.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, D35 Torpedo said:

That's the plan. I will replace the capacitors and see what happens. The previous owner said it was working when he pulled it...in 1967! Haha. My jaw just about dropped when he said that. I praised him for holding onto it for all these years. I'm not an electronics wiz, i know enough to be dangerous.

The electronics version of "ran when parked" ;) Forgive me if you know this already, but check carbon composite resistors for their value, or better yet, assume they've drifted and just replace them. They're cheap. 

• Like 1

I've been an electronics tech since 1984, I have rarely seen resistors drift in value and since I never measured them before and after I can't say they weren't off from the factory.  Electrolytic capacitors though... they do drift.

Welcome to the forum. I claim this is the formal home for all flathead Mopars, best in the galaxy. There are many great members here. You'll get all the support you need here.

Where abouts in Canada are you? I'm in BC. 

12 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Welcome to the forum. I claim this is the formal home for all flathead Mopars, best in the galaxy. There are many great members here. You'll get all the support you need here.

Where abouts in Canada are you? I'm in BC. 

Also in B.C. south coast. 

14 hours ago, Sniper said:

I've been an electronics tech since 1984, I have rarely seen resistors drift in value and since I never measured them before and after I can't say they weren't off from the factory.  Electrolytic capacitors though... they do drift.

I've been reading and there is talk about replacing resistors. I agree though, doesn't seem like a problem child. My electronics experience goes as far as recapping crts and replacing/reflowing obviously bad parts. 

14 hours ago, ratbailey said:

The electronics version of "ran when parked" ;) Forgive me if you know this already, but check carbon composite resistors for their value, or better yet, assume they've drifted and just replace them. They're cheap. 

I assume they can't be checked in circuit. No need to ask for forgiveness. My knowledge of these radios is still in its infancy. 

17 hours ago, D35 Torpedo said:

I assume they can't be checked in circuit. No need to ask for forgiveness. My knowledge of these radios is still in its infancy. 

You can check resistors in the circuit. I think it's worth doing---I'm not a pro, but in my experience with consumer grade electronic stuff that's 60+ years old, carbon comp resistors will sometimes drift higher. Hopefully, the schematic will tell you the tolerances of each resistor, and you can make a call based on that. I've also seen cases where some tech put in a completely wrong value resistor, and I'm glad I put my eyeballs and ohm meter on each resistor and caught it. 

• Like 1

You can check it in circuit, but you'll get the wrong reading unless you use a specialized technique called guarding AND you know the circuit well enough to implement it.  Otherwise you are just measuring the resistance of everything in parallel with it.

https://www.nutsvolts.com/magazine/article/July2016_In-Circuit-Testing-Techniques

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

You have a great 1949 Wayfarer two door sedan fastback.  Great car and I love the red paint!  

Thanks! It's actually a 1950 dodge deluxe. Canadian model. It has the 25" long engine. The red paint is pretty rough. It was resprayed decades ago and it shows.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I find it odd that the Canadian Dodges had a bigger engine that the American Dodges.  Is it based on the Plymouth body?  

Yes. It has plymouth taillights and plymouth dash. But with dodge clock delete, radio emblem and horn button. And dodge grill and emblems on the body. It is pretty neat. However, some Canadian specific parts are rare birds indeed. I am searching for the radio emblem. American Coronet stuff is not the same. 

Welcome to the forum there are a lot of great people on here that have many years of experience with these old cars and I rely on their comments and knowledge to keep my daily driver 48 Plymouth coupe on the road. No matter how dumb you might think your question might be there is always some one down the line that will answer it without criticizing the question. I know I have asked some pretty wild ones. I'm still learning too and have been for many, many years on here. Good luck with your project and may you enjoy it many years to come. 

Marc............if you want "odd" then here in Australia some years we had BOTH the 23" and 25" engine available in the same year....it actually depended on what gearbox was wanted, ie, the standard 3 speed was behind the 23" engine but if you wanted the overdrive or Powerflite auto then you got the 25" engine.........lol......this was in the mid 50's...... and until Oz Chrysler introduced the OZ only Chrysler Royal in 1957 the 3 brands listed & sold here in Oz, Plymouth, Dodge & DeSoto were all Plymouth based with grille, trim & badge changes but essentially the same bodies and chassis...........andyd   

Edited by andyd
more info.
  • Like 1