Throwout bearing help - Plymouth PJ

rrunnertexas

I'm finally getting this transmission together and questions have come along with a bit of frustration.  Hopefully, someone with the same experience can pass along some advice.

The new throwout beaing from Bernbaum's is pressed onto the bearing sleeve, however, when I rotate the bearning by hand it seems noisy.  Is that normal or is grease from the grease line able to enter the bearing through the tiny hole?  Or, are the replacement bearings just not of great quality?

Also, the end of the grease line that connects to the bearing sleeve has me scratching the ever increasing in size bald spot on my head.... How does one fill the line with grease?  I attached an image of the end of the line.

20230213_141209.jpg

20230213_143224.jpg

A previous owner of my car had done a clutch job and the throwout bearing was louder than it should have been, so when I put the overdrive transmission in I changed it with a new one from AB.

The new one was every bit as loud!

I found a new old stock T.O. Bearing with the sleeve on eBay and I am certain it will be silent.

So I think your instincts are correct the Chinese bearings A.B. Sells are not original quality and they make noise.

Might last forever but that’s only to annoy you till you change with a U.S. made bearing.

Just my humble opinion.

• Like 1

The big red garbage dragon strikes again! I ended up using my original bearings (all of them) & do not have the heart to re-sell the repoop stuff to someone. I doubt the supplier will take that crap back either. They may help me make a good camera swivel on my weather ballon project. It would be an excellent way to ship these parts back across the pond where they should have bloody stayed in the first place! M

If it make noise when new it will Never improve even with Miracle grease!

Find a good one somewhere. Where?   Other venders as below links-

Call AB and tell whats up and I hope they can and will try again and check their product Before shipping at their cost@!

The original bearing sleeve collar had a drilled hole that was 1/8" pipe threaded hole on the top right hand side for a fitting that was connected to a hose that went up and out of the bell housing  vent hole with a greaseable nipple on the end.  I believe there might have been a floor opening panel (removal-able)  to access this grease nipple.

https://midwestmilitary.com/

https://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/online-parts-catalog

DJ

All of this help is sure appreciated.  I'm sad to read that others have had to deal with low quality parts and find out after it is back together in the car.  Nothing like doing the job twice!

The Federal catalog page is very helpful.  I see a few old stock bearings #1054 are available on ebay, so I think that is the route to go.  

After receiving one, it's back to the mechanic's shop to have them press off the noisy new bearing and press the Federal bearing on.  

3 hours ago, rrunnertexas said:

Sam - I would much rather do the work here at home and I do have a medium sized bench vise.  

The job will require a pipe or special tool to hold the bearing?

The service manual described how to do this with a vice for my P15. You need to consult the manual for your car to see if a vice can be used.

• Like 1