Brake flaring tools. Not for old hard steel tubing?

MarcDeSoto

You would be flaring  new modern brake lines .... not flaring lines from 80 years ago.

Today my project was making up new brake lines. ..... I have a cheaper Lisle flare tool.

They have some really cool hydraulic tools available .... how much do you plan on using the $400 tool?

What I have learned personally myself today .... while working with both aluminum  brake lines, and nicop (nickle/copper .... It is a learning curve.

My issue was going animal & over torque the lines with the cheap tool. My flares were oblong & distorted, they would not seal.

With some practice, I learned to feel the line & stop before distorting the line.

They would turn out oblong & never seal if over tightened ...  same time nicop line needs less torque then steel. .... it is a learning curve to create good flares.

My point is, you can buy a professional tool for many $$ .... or learn to use a cheap tool like our Grandfathers used for decades.

I did have to make a new line today, I messed up the flare ... Then I had two lines that were loose & just needed tightened.

I still have rf wheel cylinder not getting fluid???

The cheap flaring tools that our Grandfathers used work fine, you just need to practice with them.

• Like 2

I bought a flare tool years ago for use on some lines for my heating oil tank. I was unimpressed with the quality of my flares, enough that I used pre-flared lines when I did my brakes. That's me chickening out! Better to learn to do it right. Another skill you can count. Perhaps next time. 

If you haven't bought a flare wrench yet, that is one tool worth spending extra on. The one I had from NAPA did a fine job of rounding-off nuts! I bought a used Mac at the flea market and was amazed at how much better it works. 

• Like 1

I think flaring tools have been discussed at least a few times on the forum. IMO you don't need to spend $500 for a tool. This style tool works very well. The key to a good flair is to learn how to properly use the tool and how to prep the tube to make a flair in general.

https://www.amazon.com/Cal-Van-Tools-165-Master-Flaring/dp/B00AOTBVJQ/ref=asc_df_B00AOTBVJQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312064691975&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3548737901893692685&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003212&hvtargid=pla-432650156146&psc=1&region_id=373786

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vintage6t said:

I think flaring tools have been discussed at least a few times on the forum. IMO you don't need to spend $500 for a tool. This style tool works very well. The key to a good flair is to learn how to properly use the tool and how to prep the tube to make a flair in general.

https://www.amazon.com/Cal-Van-Tools-165-Master-Flaring/dp/B00AOTBVJQ/ref=asc_df_B00AOTBVJQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312064691975&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3548737901893692685&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003212&hvtargid=pla-432650156146&psc=1&region_id=373786

That's actually a pretty nice tool. I think mine is more of the $15 variety from 50 years ago. Any of them will work as long as you practice a little, its easy. Don't let anyone tell you a single flare is ok, make a double flare for brakes. if your old lines are in really good condition or if you need to make a quick get by flare use the existing stuff. The new NiCop stuff is great to use, wont rust and cheap.

Also, as I've said here before, don't forget to put the fitting on before making your flare, ask me how I know (x3).

Yes the old school flare tools like this one works well for double flares. Very basic.

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/double-flaring-tool-set

I bought mine from the parts+ store, sure hope I did not pay that much for it. .... $66?

Picture1

Picture2

53 minutes ago, LeRoy said:

Also, as I've said here before, don't forget to put the fitting on before making your flare, ask me how I know (x3).

also good practice to make the lines a little longer then needed, that way when you forget the fitting. You have room to cut it off & redo it.

I did that yesterday, I was admiring how well the flare came out ....then realized there was no fitting on it  ?

• Like 1

When i do a flare I use a small metal file on the ednges of the tube and also across the opening of the tube.  I do not like the old style flaring tools because the tubes can  move and then get an out of round flare.

I prefer the cal van 165 flaring tool.

Rich Hartung

Edited by desoto1939

My favorite that I have used, almost impossible to screw up, believe me!

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Brake-Line-Flaring-Tool/dp/B0BJCYFWZQ/ref=asc_df_B0BJCYFWZQ?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80264466333876&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583864000314967&psc=1

Not cheap but prices are all over as Many companies sell this tool.

Want to pay more for one ?- check out Eastwood Company price.

Just read the Soft metal tube part- on the ad - NOt at all so-- I have used this tool on harder SS tubing and the usual steel brake tubing.. NO issues with even the SS which is a real Bitch with most flaring tools/.

* * * Also this tool has a 37 degree tool optional for sale for the AN and other 37 degree fittings - again not cheap but available.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
add info, add more info for 37 Degree tool avail for this
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

That's the tool I use and it works great. I just did a whole car using it on steel lines.

On 2/6/2023 at 5:59 PM, DJ194950 said:

My favorite that I have used, almost impossible to screw up, believe me!

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Brake-Line-Flaring-Tool/dp/B0BJCYFWZQ/ref=asc_df_B0BJCYFWZQ?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80264466333876&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583864000314967&psc=1

Not cheap but prices are all over as Many companies sell this tool.

Want to pay more for one ?- check out Eastwood Company price.the

Just read the Soft metal tube part- on the ad - NOt at all so-- I have used this tool on harder SS tubing and the usual steel brake tubing.. NO issues with even the SS which is a real Bitch with most flaring tools/.

* * * Also this tool has a 37 degree tool optional for sale for the AN and other 37 degree fittings - again not cheap but available.

DJ

The soft metal issue, along with use of 'expand' rather  flare in the amazon links description makes me think they are talking about expanding a length of tube for a slip fit for joining two sections.   I have a die for that on one of my older sets, works on copper but with difficulty.   I'd bet the writer of that is has neither first hand knowledge of the tool nor has English as his/her first language.   Converting technical/trade knowledge to 'everyday' language is hard enough if the source and the audience share the same language.

Edited by kencombs

I purchased a Blue Point flaring tool kit some 30 years ago when they were still affordable. It has never really produced a bad brake line or any other flare. A quality (mostly American made) kit combined with proper prep of the cut line to be flared eventually leads to dry junctions & reliable operation of a critical system on your vehicle. M

• Like 1