6v appropriate voltage.

OUTFXD

How much voltage should the generator be kicking out on Jacquiline?     She still is sluggish when I try to start her, requiring a Jump almost every time I start her.

Headlights on, Fan on, and I am just now realizing, at idle I got 6.5 volts. 

I am sure this has been discussed a thousand times on this sight,   but ill be danged if I can find the info!

I 'll go start her again and update the thread with Voltage while the engine is turning 1500rpm or so.

Thanks for the info guys!  I'm getting about 7 (>< .01}

Sounds pretty weak.  Ive removed the voltage regulator and am cleaning the contact points.  the three points outside, where the wires bolt to,  are pretty carroded.

I'll clean them up and try again!

• Like 1

Generators don't produce as well at idle as they do with more rpm.  Check your batt voltage with everything off and after the battery has had a chance to stabilize.  That should give you an indication if the gen is charging at idle or not.  You'll have to rev it up to find your max voltage setting.

• Thanks 1

okay,  Cleaned up the voltage regulator. reinstalled it.

now my multipul digit reader shows 6.2 volts (at about 1500rpm) and my ammeter shows nothing,  turn on the lights and it drops into the negatives.  rechecked the wiring and made sure it was wired correctly.

It was. Mabye I need to repolorize the generator?

6.2V isn't even battery voltage when charged.  So it is clearly too low.  A fully charged cell is 2.16volts.  3x that is about 6.4.  And voltage must be above battery voltage to charge. 

IMHO, Either your regulator is bad, or there are some really bad connections somewhere as generators generally work or not.   Could your belt be slipping, pulley worn and letting it bottom out or ?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kencombs said:

IMHO, Either your regulator is bad, or there are some really bad connections somewhere as generators generally work or not.   Could your belt be slipping, pulley worn and letting it bottom out or ?

or all of the above. previous owners where a mixed lot.  a long time ago,  someone loved this car and spent a LOT of money on her.   Then,  what I presume where poor teenagers got a hold of her and tried to turn her into a Rat Rod. Intentionally causing rust and rewired the entire car with radioshack quality wire and poorly executed crimp connectors. also. EVERYTHING goes through the ignition switch. Headlights, Horn,  Breaklights. everything.

Tons of corroded connections caused by whatever they sprayed all over the car to make things rust.

Here is an example of the quality of craftsmanship

Fuzebox back.jpg

My stock regulators can be adjusted by us!

I made me a tool, right angled, with a slot to fit over the spring´s hook.

I isolated with shrink tube because I use it with engine running under tension.

Regulator should give ca. 7.8 V cold and if hot after 15 minutes (with cover!) should still read > 7 V.

Procedure is well described in the service manual.

Greetings!

Go

• Like 1

The terminals on the generator where in a terrible state,  Cleaned em up.  The terminal with the red wire was HOT, Like 200 degrees hot.  Which to me is indicitive of a bad connection. tested the wires and all showed good continuity.  Redressed the contact points on the voltage regulator. 

Fired her up and... 6.4 volts.

seems to me the pivots that actuate the contact points where not moving smoothly, so maybe something there. Maybe run a new (red) wire from the generator to the voltage regulator and see what that does.

Generator work.jpg

The rusty connection of the blue wire to the generator would give me concern.  High resistance gives  high heat.  Those two studs/screws coming out of the generator are to be insulated from the body of the generator.  I would remove both wires from the generator and check to make sure there is no continuity between the screws/studs and the body of the generator.  If there is continuity there are insulating washers and bushings on these studs that may have broken down and need repair or replacement.   

• Thanks 1

What was kind of a before/after pic.  Both connections looked rusty before I starter,  now they are both cleaned up. 

as it turned out BOTH wire connectors where pushed tight against the body of the generator. I pried them away.  This brought voltage up to 6.5v.

I plan on replacing the two wires comming off the generator,  The hot connector brings me pause.

I will check for continuity between the posts and the body tomorrow. 

Thanks for all the advice!

There is an original service manual, with good pictures, on eBay. The item number is 373234016063, the seller is h.s.teacher. $24.26, $4.88 shipping. It will tell you about the diagnostic procedure for what you’re trying to figure out. Reprints are not very good at picture clarity. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2023 at 7:03 PM, OUTFXD said:

The terminals on the generator where in a terrible state,  Cleaned em up.  The terminal with the red wire was HOT, Like 200 degrees hot.  Which to me is indicitive of a bad connection. tested the wires and all showed good continuity.  Redressed the contact points on the voltage regulator. 

Fired her up and... 6.4 volts.

seems to me the pivots that actuate the contact points where not moving smoothly, so maybe something there. Maybe run a new (red) wire from the generator to the voltage regulator and see what that does.

Generator work.jpg

Your battery has the posh life! Carpeted shelf, don't let my cat see that pic. Looks like your oil fill/crank case vent cap is in backwards.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 38plymouth said:

I just did a 6 volt alternator and it is the single best thing I ever did to the car. It's crazy how much better the lights and blower work at idle. If I was you I would stop messing around and spend 200 bucks and make your car work great.

Absolutely!

https://www.ebay.com/str/HowardEnt?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2023 at 8:21 AM, 38plymouth said:

I just did a 6 volt alternator and it is the single best thing I ever did to the car. It's crazy how much better the lights and blower work at idle. If I was you I would stopand make your car work great.

I agree.. The 6v alternator swap was some of the best money spent on this car. It seems like it starts easier, especially on cold days. I feel like I was having to put a trickle charger on it constantly. Haven't had to for a couple months now. And besides, the genny was making some awful noise that couldn't be remedied with the proper generator lubrication.. It was time.  

• Thanks 2