Cruising speed

dgrinnan

I have seen different people post different speeds they cruise at in their stock trucks.   I have an original 218 (recently bored to .040) with an original 3 speed transmission and the original rear end in my 1947 WC.  Based on your experience, what is a comfortable sustainable cruising speed without running at extreme RPMs?  

Tire diameter also effects rpms. But if you are running close to stock tires 50- 55 is a nice cruise in my '42. Suprisingly there is more there if you need it, but we are driving on 80 year old brake technology.

Just went through a rear axle re-gear for the same reason (it didn't like highway speeds). The 50 had a 3.91 carrier I found a 3.54 carrier, swapped it out and am very happy with the outcome now able to run with traffic and not taxing the motor at all

Personally I've found I run out of nerve before I run out of engine. At least mine with tall radials starts to feel top heavy around 55-60. I have a 218 stock trans and a 3.90

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 1949 Wraith said:

Tire diameter also effects rpms. But if you are running close to stock tires 50- 55 is a nice cruise in my '42. Suprisingly there is more there if you need it, but we are driving on 80 year old brake technology.

Yeah! And even with upgrades to brakes, gear ratios, and tires, which I've done, it's still a bit risky driving these old trucks at modern highway speeds. Like Young Ed indicated; how much nerve do you have? Lols! I suspect also that my truck might be easily rolled over in a high speed mishap? My 39 has the earlier design door latches which were noted for flinging open in accidents where the driver is thrown out, usually under the wreck. I try to stay off the major roads as much as possible. On the other hand, at my age, it might be a better way to go than ending up in some nursing home. Lols!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1