1947 D24... Rear Seat ? Any ideas?

hbpaints

Good Morning guys, 

So my car came to me from the previous owner with a "bed" built into the back of the car... obviously he removed the back seat in its entirety, and in the process also cut out the supports from the rear decklid to the floor.

So, this obviously raises a couple questions... 

1. Does anyone have any pictures or measurements of where the "X" brace support pieces need to be welded back in? I'd like to replace it for support.

2. Anyone have any idea on what will work/fit for a back seat? I'd like to start taking the kids cruising...  I am able to fabricate mounts, etc... just wondering what others have done for rear seats? Hoping someone has found a modern seat that will fit with a little fabrication so I can hit the junk yards this weekend...

Thanks in advance... 

Rob.

Not sure if this will help you, but on my P15 Plymouth, we used a rear seat from  a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville.  We  shortened  the seat, and then had the upholstery shop reattach the fabric. (There originally was a built-inDSCI0045.JPG.cb23a3e9f974b5ac56638906430e6a13.JPG armrest in the center).  Required a bit of carpentry work to build a base for support, and the proper height.  I'm very pleased how it turned out.  I don't have any other pictures of the modification, but maybe it will give you an idea for your D24

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LeRoy said:

I've got a 47 D24 in the driveway, let me know what kind of pictures and measurements you'd like and Ill get them together.

Thanks, I really appreciate that...

Basically if you can get me the starting points of the X-Brace from the fenderwell, or maybe the corner of the decklid to the center point of the support metal? Both at the Decklid height and the floor height, I can get close to how it should look. Agreed, if I'm building a custom seat in place of original, it may not matter, but it would be nice to get it as close as possible to the original locations...

15 minutes ago, Oldguy48 said:

Not sure if this will help you, but on my P15 Plymouth, we used a rear seat from  a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville.  We  shortened  the seat, and then had the upholstery shop reattach the fabric. (There originally was a built-inDSCI0045.JPG.cb23a3e9f974b5ac56638906430e6a13.JPG armrest in the center).  Required a bit of carpentry work to build a base for support, and the proper height.  I'm very pleased how it turned out.  I don't have any other pictures of the modification, but maybe it will give you an idea for your D24

That looks amazing.... And gives me a starting point... 

Thank you!

• Like 1

You know, second/third row minivan seats have long been a favorite to fit into street rods.  If you can find one that fits AND folds down you might be able to keep that extra capacity if you need it.  Or find one that fits and can be reupholstered to match what you have.  Time to hit the yards with a tape measure

Some ideas

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mini-van-seats.1073044/

• Like 1

If you want original I have a source for the frames and springs off a donor car. Your biggest problem will be shipping as they are in Canada. I think you would do much better with the tape measure that Sniper mentioned and a few hours at the pick-a-part nearest you. Let us know how you make out. Dave

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Happy 46R said:

If you want original I have a source for the frames and springs off a donor car. Your biggest problem will be shipping as they are in Canada. I think you would do much better with the tape measure that Sniper mentioned and a few hours at the pick-a-part nearest you. Let us know how you make out. Dave

Thanks, I am located in Canada myself ( Vancouver Island, British Columbia)

so shipping may not be that bad? 

worth a look? 

On 2/3/2023 at 1:39 PM, hbpaints said:

Good Morning guys, 

So my car came to me from the previous owner with a "bed" built into the back of the car... obviously he removed the back seat in its entirety, and in the process also cut out the supports from the rear decklid to the floor.

So, this obviously raises a couple questions... 

1. Does anyone have any pictures or measurements of where the "X" brace support pieces need to be welded back in? I'd like to replace it for support.

2. Anyone have any idea on what will work/fit for a back seat? I'd like to start taking the kids cruising...  I am able to fabricate mounts, etc... just wondering what others have done for rear seats? Hoping someone has found a modern seat that will fit with a little fabrication so I can hit the junk yards this weekend...

Thanks in advance... 

Rob.

20230204_140216.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LeRoy said:

hbpants, I also hold you responsible for the mouse house I just dug outta the rear seat cushion 

20230204_144028.jpg

I will graciously accept all blame… lol

thank you so much! Those are exactly  what I was looking for.

Rob

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hbpaints said:

I will graciously accept all blame… lol

thank you so much! Those are exactly  what I was looking for.

Rob

If you need any measurements I'd  be happy to provide them add well. Just let me know the specific area or part.