Vaccum wipers

Ernie Baily

A few days ago I got caught in the rain with my 48 Plymouth and my wipers worked although they stopped upon acceleration. Some time ago I had bought a 49 Plymouth double action fuel pump and had it on the car.  However I can't remember why I took it off.  I plan on bench testing the fuel pump and I should test the vacuum pump as well.  The other thing I don't remember is on how the vaccum hoses route from pump to wiper motor.  Can anyone refresh my memory?  My hope is to even out the vaccum to make the wipers work more evenly.  I don't know of a conversion using a 6v wiper motor ether.  I probably shoudn't worry about this because it doesn't rain that much(So Cal area) and I don't drive it in the rain that much, I just like to have everything working right as best as I can.  Please advise!   Thank you!

Why not get the dual action FP rebuild kit for the DA pump you have rebuild it and then install it?  The line from the pump replaces the line from the intake vacuum totally.

That company mentioned often on the forum- Then and Now - used to carry the kits.

DJ

The line on the manifold goes to the exhaust side of the pump. A metal line works best.

The suction side goes to the wiper motor.

This way if the engine has more vacuum than the pump it will suck through the pump. Such as going down hill with the throttle closed.