Does anyone have a pic of their shift linkage?

OUTFXD

okay, take two.   Got a new grommet for the shift linkage as the old one literally fell to pieces.

Getting to look at it.  I am guessing they put one in.  then when it interfered with them trying to get the second one in,  they just bent it out of the way. Two weeks later they get it on the road and it wont go into second gear! For no reason!

Anyways,  Looking for a pic of the under hood shift linkage how it is supposed to be, on the shift column, preferably from the front( radiator-ish).

Thank you for the pic!  It confirms there is a linkage issue. 

on my car.  The linkage near the oil filter is bound up with the linkage going farther back in the car,  it also passes the starter with about 1/4" clearance.  as you move it up (shift to second).  it twists back further and binds up the linkage, preventing it from shifting into second.

Further confirmation,  just before the grommet gave up,  I could actually shift to second gear.  so with the additional space garnered by the self destructing grommet,  I could avoid the bind enough to get into second gear. 

Need some thinks on how to fix it...

That rubber grommet seen in Sam's pic near the oil gauge line is very important.  It's literally what holds the linkage together!  I bought mine from AB and when I tried to squeeze it on, it cracked in half.  The rubber had petrified because of age.  So I called AB, and he said "oh you got a dried out one,  I will look for a soft rubber one."  So he sent me another one that was soft enough to slip on and work.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MarcDeSoto said:

That rubber grommet seen in Sam's pic near the oil gauge line is very important.  It's literally what holds the linkage together!  I bought mine from AB and when I tried to squeeze it on, it cracked in half.  The rubber had petrified because of age.  So I called AB, and he said "oh you got a dried out one,  I will look for a soft rubber one."  So he sent me another one that was soft enough to slip on and work. 

Most of the rubber I've bought from AB is old and dried out. They are pretty good about replacing it with more dried out rubber.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, OUTFXD said:

Sorry Skwatch no idea.  You would think that there is something out there!

so.  a few minutes with a cinderblock and a deadblow hammer and my shift linkage can pass as serviceable.

shick linkage 2.jpg

Sorry Skwatch no idea.  You would think that there is something out there!

so.  a few minutes with a cinderblock and a deadblow hammer and my shift linkage can pass as serviceable.

shick linkage 2.jpg

I think that looks much better ?

Edited by Saskwatch
Pressed the wrong button ??‍♂️

No joy.  Still no second gear, linkage still looks like it is binding.

My theory is the bend isnt steep enough and needs to be "adjusted".  This would shorten the overall length (C) between mount points(A and B ) and change the angle where the grommet mounts to the steering column.

anyone have a pick of their linkage outside the car?

shick linkage 3.jpg

The Snap ON hammer would have bent the rod to the West.

The HB hammer bent the rod eastward-- Never work!  ?

• Haha 2

That cements it.  Pic one shows the linkage solid parallel with the bit from the steering column.  Pic two shows the exsisting linkage (albit from a slightly different angle)  at an angle passing bellow the steering column bit!

Thank you MarkDesoto and Saskwatch for all the help!

Shift Linkage solution 1.jpg

Shift Linkage solution 2.jpg

Edited by OUTFXD