Oil Filter - Again

LeRoy

I ordered a Wix 51010 offa Amazon and discovered the center hole is a little too small (.5"). The filter I've been running was a Hastings LF128, it looks like that crosses to a WIX 51080. The main difference is the bottom inner hole is ~.75" rather than .5. 

RockAuto has it in stock but the shipping is as much as the filter. My Local Napa closed up shop, woe is me.

5% discount code for Rock Auto

For me with shipping, if needed, and taxes, one Wix 51080 filter

RA $15.54

Amazon $20.07

Napa $23.80

Autozone $21.64 (Fram C134PL priced,  Wix not available)

Oreilly's  $23.80

Advance Auto no verifiable listing

Not sure why your shipping is $10 from RA, it's $10 for the filter, the rest taxes and shipping in my list,  In any case, RA is still cheapest.

You can go to any of the other major parts suppliers with the Hastings or Napa number and they can interchange it with their brand.  If you're in a rural area, chances are they have it in stock. . Those filters were used on any number of farm equipment Make a few phone calls.  O'reillys sells Wix, Advance # interchange from Wix 51080 should be 85080.

• Like 1

I tried a wix in the past but it didn't have the correct o ring. So all I would use is a Hastings. So ya I bought 6 filters and changed the oil every spring weather it needed it or not. You should change oil yearly anyways. Was so worth having them on the shelf.

• Like 2

we are all feeling your pain about the shipping cost.  i just sent  a couple of taillight lens for a 39 Desoto to finland. $35 for shipping, so we really do not have it that bad here in the states.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

I ordered one from O'reilly it will be here this am, they are going to take the Wix 51010 I have on hand as an even trade (I told them I didn't buy it from them but they were fine with that). When I find out if this is a good fit I'll shop around for the best deal and buy a few to have on hand. I've had pretty good luck buying large lots of filters for my other cars and getting them at a discount. The number of miles this car will get will probably make it one of those annual changes so 6 or 8 will last a long time. 

I'm going to blame Amazon for my shipping grudge. Before they came along it was expected you'd pay a fair amount for shipping and that's just the way it was. 20 years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about RA's shipping amount. The Wix 51010 in my first post cost about 10 bucks, no shipping and arrived in 2 days, they have spoiled me.

Robert, I know what you mean but I'm a tight wad from the beginning and old habits die hard. Poor folks have poor ways. 

Dave, I called the local Tractor Supply and they said I could bring the old filter in and they'd match it up. I find an awfully lot of this 1947 Dodge is similar to my 1941 Farmall...

Sniper, I've bought a bunch of stuff offa RA but only when I cant find it anywhere else or I'm buying several items. I've had a few fitment issues from them, they are good about returns as long as its done quickly. If you buy parts in advance and don't get to a project for a few months you might end up with some odd parts on the shelf. One of the really silly things I like about them is the magnets, we have them all over the house. My youngest daughter encourages me to buy from them so she can try to match a magnet with one of her matchbox cars (girl after my heart). I have been on a few scavenger hunts to find a car to match a magnet, one of the more difficult was an early 50s Studebaker. We got the magnet and she had to have one that looked like it. I looked high and low for a red  early 50s Studebaker fastback matchbox, finally spotted a 1:40 scale car at a drugstore so we now have it on a shelf with the magnet. 

13 hours ago, FarmerJon said:

Well, sounds like you are going to need to buy 3 or 4 filters, a set of spark plugs, and a couple sets of wipers for your daily driver...

Don't forget that 5% off coupon

I fall into this trap quite a  bit, I think 15 or 20 dollars shipping on a hundred dollar order is ok so I run it up till it feels right. Sometimes I end up buying things I could have done without. 

13 hours ago, Sniper said:

5% discount code for Rock Auto

For me with shipping, if needed, and taxes, one Wix 51080 filter

RA $15.54

Amazon $20.07

Napa $23.80

Autozone $21.64 (Fram C134PL priced,  Wix not available)

Oreilly's  $23.80

Advance Auto no verifiable listing

Not sure why your shipping is $10 from RA, it's $10 for the filter, the rest taxes and shipping in my list,  In any case, RA is still cheapest.

image.png.e0324307aea474db31bcd056e2138a4a.png

This doesn't include the 5% coupon you provided. I don't know why they hit me so hard here. Truth be told delivering here in the hills is kinda tough for the larger trucks so I guess should be happy they are willing to bring stuff to me. 

Once you find the proper fit circle back to rock auto. You might find the shipping doesn't increase much for 6 filters and that'd spread the cost across them. I bought a case of filters for my 318 last summer 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LeRoy said:

image.png.e0324307aea474db31bcd056e2138a4a.png

This doesn't include the 5% coupon you provided. I don't know why they hit me so hard here. Truth be told delivering here in the hills is kinda tough for the larger trucks so I guess should be happy they are willing to bring stuff to me. 

That's crazy, they didn't hit me that hard for shipping and I live an hour and a half from the nearest interstate.  When in a situation like that I will usually add in more stuff I need.  Belts, hoses, wipers, new plugs, whatever I might need or reasonably forecast I will need in the near term.

If you do that, look for the truck next to the parts you are looking at, it will tell you that it ships from the same warehouse.  See pic below.  Interesting enough, shipping went up $2 since I checked yesterday. 

truck.JPG

• Like 1

I have juggled Rock Auto orders so all the parts ship from the same warehouse. I even had one order where it was cheaper to split my parts into two orders so multiple warehouses wouldn't be used for the same order.

Shipping has gone up a tremendous amount the past three years, it's the world we live in now.....guess we need to get used to it....the olden days ain't coming back.

• Sad 1