Window Crank Handle

colbs

3 of the 4 window crank handles I have in my 48 Royal are missing the knob on them and I was able to find some cranks that are marked with 47 and CD so I believe they are from 47 and from Chrysler Detroit but I have no idea what they came off of originally and even though they arent from nor for my Royal that I am restoring I like the look of them and it will set my car apart but I would really like to know what they were for from factory if anyone knows! Its a stone of some sort and not bakelite

326148741_873436270588045_4102296347707855530_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Those style of window cranks are referred to as Floppers, or Flippers.  Some call them Floppers because when you're finished with them, they flop down.  Others call them Flippers because when you grab them to crank the window, they flip up.  Good luck finding some, and if you do, dig deep into your wallet. It was always my understanding that they were available on the Windsors, New Yorkers, and Travellers only.  The ones on my '48 Windsor are shaped differently and there was also a third variation that was solid metal.  I believe the plastic like material is a form or type of Lucite.

One word of caution:  Be very leary of buying them online. It's best to see them right in front of you before you decide to buy.  You need to inspect them very closely.  The mechanism that allows them to rotate 360 degrees as well as flip out 90 degrees is very very small and fragile.  It consists of a steel pin, about half the diameter of a pencil lead.  That pin goes through the end of a rounded over white metal shaft that is about 1/8" diameter. As you may know, white metal pits easily over time and the wall thickness between the pin opening and the outside diameter of that small shaft is super thin.  I'm guessing the designers never expected them to last 75 years.  I had one that was broken and I thought about rebuilding it but that thought went out the window once I thought through the process.  On mine there is a tiny hole on the side of the chromed section of the Flopper that in theory, when you put a tiny needle in that tiny hole, it will release that Lucite end. 

To assemble one of them you would need the hands and the patience of a watchmaker.

Mine are in great condition, but even so, I never use the Flopper end to crank the window.  I use my first finger and my thumb, to operate the end of the window crank, without touching the flopper part.  I've gotten so good at it I can role the window up and down pretty fast. 

I agree they look awesome, and everyone is impressed with them.  My guess is that most of them broke after a decade of regular use.  Since the kids would be in the back seat, I'm guessing they were the first to go. 

windowcrank.jpg

Edited by harmony
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, harmony said:

Those style of window cranks are referred to as Floppers, or Flippers.  Some call them Floppers because when you're finished with them, they flop down.  Others call them Flippers because when you grab them to crank the window, they flip up.  Good luck finding some, and if you do, dig deep into your wallet. It was always my understanding that they were available on the Windsors, New Yorkers, and Travellers only.  The ones on my '48 Windsor are shaped differently and there was also a third variation that was solid metal.  I believe the plastic like material is a form or type of Lucite.

One word of caution:  Be very leary of buying them online. It's best to see them right in front of you before you decide to buy.  You need to inspect them very closely.  The mechanism that allows them to rotate 360 degrees as well as flip out 90 degrees is very very small and fragile.  It consists of a steel pin, about half the diameter of a pencil lead.  That pin goes through the end of a rounded over white metal shaft that is about 1/8" diameter. As you may know, white metal pits easily over time and the wall thickness between the pin opening and the outside diameter of that small shaft is super thin.  I'm guessing the designers never expected them to last 75 years.  I had one that was broken and I thought about rebuilding it but that thought went out the window once I thought through the process.  On mine there is a tiny hole on the side of the chromed section of the Flopper that in theory, when you put a tiny needle in that tiny hole, it will release that Lucite end. 

To assemble one of them you would need the hands and the patience of a watchmaker.

Mine are in great condition, but even so, I never use the Flopper end to crank the window.  I use my first finger and my thumb, to operate the end of the window crank, without touching the flopper part.  I've gotten so good at it I can role the window up and down pretty fast. 

I agree they look awesome, and everyone is impressed with them.  My guess is that most of them broke after a decade of regular use.  Since the kids would be in the back seat, I'm guessing they were the first to go. 

windowcrank.jpg

You are smart to use your finger and thumb to save all wear and tear on those lavalier handles.

That's how I have saved mine for the last 40 years on my T&C.

I have collected several styles of those 1942-1954 Chrysler inner floppy handles. I'm covered for the rest of my life if one wears out.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2

Some more of those hard to find 40's to early 50's Chrysler inner handles....some long sedans,  some short (convert/ cpe rear 1/4) ect...

The full chrome 1949-53 handles had two different assembly types.

The  1942 handles came in different colors and patterns.

Really nice and tight 1942-48 window handles probably worth $250.00 a piece if you can find some.?

1941-53 Chrysler Lavalier Flipper Window Handles (1).JPG

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

You are smart to use your finger and thumb to save all wear and tear on those lavalier handles.

That's how I have saved mine for the last 40 years on my T&C.

I have collected several styles of those 1942-1954 Chrysler inner floppy handles. I'm covered for the rest of my life if one wears out.

Opps, yes I forgot to mention that the Town and Country had them too.

• Like 2